The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Vietnam: the last battle > Comments

Vietnam: the last battle : Comments

By John Pilger, published 10/12/2010

Within one person's lifetime Ho Chi Minh’s nationalists have fought and expelled the French, British, the Americans and the Chinese.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
They kicked out Australia also, after over six hundred deaths, countless injuries, immense financial loss, and endless psychological trauma. As the saying goes 'It is difficult to win a point against someone who is right'.
Posted by GYM-FISH, Friday, 10 December 2010 9:52:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gyn-Fish, Is that also known as the Assange effect?

regards
DKit
Posted by dkit, Friday, 10 December 2010 11:13:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear John, your article is a very romantic, even poetic interpretation and I’m sure it comes not just from your talent as a writer, but also your strong opposition to war, human rights and peace activism.

I’m sure you will always find an audience amongst those who share your views, particularly your anti-American sentiments. However, in order to maintain your world view, you seem increasingly to resort to deconstruction, omission and misrepresentation of history.

The main culprit for creating and maintaining the open sore of Vietnam was French colonialism. As the post WWII administration in the US anticipated, this was to become a cold war ideological divide that could potentially involve the US.

Britain did provide transports to get De Gaul’s troops back to Vietnam after WWII, partly because Churchill feared a collapse of post WWII Empire in indo-china, and partly because of pressure from CD.

The French had occupied parts of Vietnam since the 17th century and their presence, right up to Dien Bien Phu had been an absolute disaster.

It is so easy, even lazy, to simply peddle the grinding ideology of anti-American sentiment as a basis for your articles. Sooner or later you will have to come to terms with the fact that your over simplistic views of geo-politics, fail address any issues of causality, in this case, the French.

Activism during the Vietnam War played a central role in preventing the US from attacking North Vietnam. As a result the US Military were left with fighting on home (insurgency) territory which is why such horrific casualties came about in South Vietnam.
Where would we be now if we had stopped the Allies from attacking Germany in WWII?

What it is we seek to avoid, we create.

“The President (FDR) said he was 100% in agreement with Marshal Stalin and remarked that after 100 years of French rule in Indochina, the inhabitants were worse off than they had been before. “

Source: The Pentagon Papers, Gravel Edition, Volume 1, Chapter 1 (Boston: Beacon Press, 1971), pp. 12-13
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 10 December 2010 1:57:42 PM
Contrary to Mr Pilgers sentimental journey, the reality is that many a Christian pastor was dumped into shallow graves, and barbed wire scrunched up and pressed into their faces..and those 'National Liberation Front' "heroes" STOMPED on it..over and over and over and over ...again..... while telling them to RENOUNCE their faith.

Racial persecution was rampant against the Hmong and Montagnards, and victimization of people based on race was rife.

Why in the world did he even write this..."now"?
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Friday, 10 December 2010 4:39:58 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was of the understanding that John PILGER was no longer with us ?

Obviously, I was wrong. In any event, as a Vietnam Veteran, anything this gentleman says is of little or no consequence to me.

I find it quite amusing how some writers tell us all how things are, how we should think, and what we should do ? Interestingly, Mr Pilger, in my humble opinion is one of them.

I wouldn't think he'd be particularly welcome amongst a meeting of VV ? The bloody war is over. Leave them to their country and way of life. And allow the veterans time to (try) heal their minds, and in some cases, their bodies.

Mr Pilger, leave that part of history alone. Find another issue, cause, or hobby horse to write about - many of us still hurt.
Posted by o sung wu, Friday, 10 December 2010 5:12:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
o sung wu.Vietnam like the wars of today are all about profit for corporate elites.A single missile costs the price of a house.The drug companies make money from from the thousands of wounded.The tax payer always foots the bill.There was nothing noble about Vietnam.It was a dirty filthy war just like all the others.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 10 December 2010 6:06:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy