The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Can Australia afford not to be reconciled? > Comments

Can Australia afford not to be reconciled? : Comments

By Patrick Dodson, published 3/12/2010

Patrick Dodson's reflections on the way forward for indigenous Australians

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17
  13. All
For our shared humanity we need the Referendum and we need it to succeed. Rights need to be enshrined in the constitution because the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 didn't offer any protection. In 2006 the government simply suspended it to bring in the Intervention. The Intervention didn't target individuals or communities according to how well or how badly they were doing - it was done on the basis of race. That's why the UN criticised Australia for its human rights abuses. The excuse for the Intervention was the report "The Little Children are Scared" but the Intervention brought in a raft of measures that weren't tied to child welfare and the authors of the report were appalled that their work was used in this way as the Intervention contravenes their recommendations. It was like the WMD debacle, a device for gaining public approval of government action. Remember the stories of paedophile rings operating in Indigneous communities in the NT? None have been found. The Intervention is appalling. Amongst other things it is compulsory for communities to lease their land back to the government. Constitutional protection is vitally important.

We need to work together in the present for the future. Like Archie Roach says we've been apart for too long. Patrick Dodson is right in saying we can't leave it to governments. Reconciliation needs to take place at community and individual levels too, and for me that means getting informed.

When someone starts a post saying they know little about Aboriginal culture then passes a negative judgement I think they have a closed mind. That post gave me a Monty Python type image of an African attempting to explain local culture to me while John Cleese bellows "Get on with it, it's all the same, isn't it".

The man who has been kind enough to teach me how to catch and prepare seafood the way it has traditionally been done here for thousands of years would be surprised to know that this knowledge is a "manufactured" product. And yes what I'm learning is very relevant to 21st century.
Posted by Amanda Midlam, Friday, 3 December 2010 2:57:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
King Hazza, Sorry, but your responses are typical of those who seek to control the debate by controlling the language.

On the substance, so-called 'rights' and 'self determination' agendas are not pathways to salvation as 30 years under the Coombs reforms demonstrate.

I did read Dodson's article and disagree on so many levels its not funny. But, not the least because, if you want the referendum to fail, insist on taking a divisive domestic agenda, cross breed it with a UN convention and insist that it be embedded in the Constitution. It will join the many other failed referenda.

What '67 achieved was not a vote for a relationship as dodson characterises it. It was much more practical than that. It essentially provided the head of power for the Commonwealth to make laws and it provided for Aboriginal people to be counted in the census. Not only did it capture a will toward reconciliation (not that the term was used), but the measures were so self evidently fair that it got broad support. What Dodson is proposing is to extend a set of rights and suborn the Constitution to a UN Convention for a discrete subset of the population. Keep in mind that the advocates for the UN Convention and those who oppose the NT Intervention are asserting esoteric adult rights not just over other Australians, but over the right of Indigenous children and women to live safe lives.

I fear that those who support Dodson's proposition must want the referenda to fail, because any serious attempt to do what he proposes would cause so much rancour that the only winners will be the self appointed powerful men in the indigenous lobby who could continue to scream racism and victimisation but not engage with real and practical action.

The other posts to which you object are only a litmus test of the reaction to Dodson's proposition. And the shame is, i think most Australians genuinely want practical action to improve the living conditions and opportunities for Indigenous Australians.
Posted by gobsmacked, Friday, 3 December 2010 3:08:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
gobsmacked, well summed up, thanks .. as usual with the aboriginal industry, a few strong men are trying to tie it all up for themselves.

The whole new first peoples thing is stolen from the American aborigines, and is emotive.

hazza, you start out with "My god the pettiness of the other posters is mind boggling" .. then go on to "So you know, the more you try to continue that discourse, the dumber and more disingenuous it will make you look when even my original point is quite immune."

your point is immune,because it's so badly made as to be indecipherable, other posters notice the same thing.

The emotive bullying language is typical of people trying to suppress or control debate .. no thanks. Insults and bullying just don't cut it as an argument, but do keep trying.
Posted by rpg, Friday, 3 December 2010 3:24:44 PM
IF Dodson's referenda passes the Commonwealth shall proclaim it as a vote supporting other racist legislation qualifying rights and responsibilities of Australians by racial tests.

Supporters of racism likely to support such referenda.

Opponents of racism likely reluctant to support such referenda.

To enshrine rights, responsibilities or interests qualified by racial identification within our Constitution supports Commonwealth continued racist practices - despite repeated demonstrated failures.

Patrick Dodson still supports Australian families being segregated on basis of racial testing, which the Commonwealth practiced prior to 67 referenda, and continues to still.

Patrick Dodson supports racism, supports apartheid, and seeks Australians to enable such practices to continue...

Most Australians do support equality of opportunity and equality of responsibility.

Earlier customs and practices needing protection Dodson proposes likely irrelevant to our grandchildren.
Posted by polpak, Friday, 3 December 2010 3:48:36 PM
I heard an interesting comment resulting from our failed bid for the 2022 Football World Cup. I thought it was entirely appropriate.

Something along the lines that the most trustworthy people are those that tell you they will “not” vote for you. Like I said “there are too many Australians who will tell you what a great idea this is”. Beware the false prophets.

If the Indigenous Peoples of Australia keep listening to those who have all the answers on your behalf, ask them what the question was?

Loudmouth has it nailed. I suggested that Indigenous Communities need to “show and tell” and stop just the “tell” bit. Congratulations Joe you are showing and telling. For that your community earns respect, the well deserved support from other communities and has earned a “fair go”.

The rest of you who think you have that answer to Indigenous justice and equity need to apply for sex and travel.

“Onya Joe, you are gaining more respect than you can possibly imagine.

Sorry Joe, you do know and I didn’t mean to patronize.

Are you listening Patrick?
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 3 December 2010 4:02:43 PM
what Australia can't afford is to allow our first people to continue with their victim mentality. How on earth are these people ever going to live productive lives when they are taught disdain for all Europeans. They will continue to justify uncivilized behaviour and blame everyone else. Yes mistakes have been made. My mother being thrown in orphanage at the age of three was not nice. Plenty of Europeans have not had it easy. People living in areas where aboriginies have a victim mentality resulting in thievery and constant anti social behaviour have not had it easy. Stop the victim mentality which allows disgusting behaviour to be excused. It is time our first people counted their blessings rather than harping on about the past. No progress can be made by enshrining law that rams home victim mentality.
Posted by runner, Friday, 3 December 2010 5:59:15 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 15
  11. 16
  12. 17