The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Women should be free to wear the burqa > Comments

Women should be free to wear the burqa : Comments

By Pip Hinman, published 29/11/2010

Wearing the burqa raises complicated questions of human rights.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 44
  8. 45
  9. 46
  10. All
This issue is being presented by the author as a libertarian issue, and as self professed libertarian, I find myself torn on the issue.

As a libertarian, I agree that as long as no harm is inflicted on others anyone should be allowed to wear what they want whether it is the Burqa, a silly hat, or even nothing.

However, society is never that simple, and the burqa is not like wearing a silly hat, and has cultural and other freedom issues associated with it.

Despite Pip's protestations, there is significant evidence that many of those wearing the burqa are doing so not because of their religious ideals, but more because of pressure from their husbands and community.

The second issue that the burqa not only provides modesty, but hides identity, and obscures vision is also problematic especially where safety and security are concerned when driving or banking is undertaken.

In conclusion, there are strong arguments either way, and neither banning or allowing the burqa is without merit.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Monday, 29 November 2010 10:45:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ban it...no woman wears this by choice, there is always pressure at home from hubby. Its vile; ban it
Posted by peter piper, Monday, 29 November 2010 11:45:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The author is making an unfounded assumption that opponents of the burqua are racists, and claims specifically, that they are white supremists. Apparently this glib assumption is deemed to strengthen her arguments against any opposition to wearing of the burqua.

I wonder what the author's position is on the supremist attitudes of Arab nations and other followers of Islam as directed towards Western society and culture, and which appears to be creating more of an issue globally in contrast to the citizens of our largely educated, tolerant and egalitarian "modern" culture.

Another unfounded assumption is that to ban the burqua is to criminalise the wearer. There would be many ways of limiting, discouraging and hopefully preventing its use other than imposing criminal penalties. A penalty more in the order of traffic infringements would be appropriate - given similar risks to the public are involved due to driving with impaired vision and anonymity.

The wearing of the burqua is a repressive and ridiculous practice and I support negative sanctions to discourage its use. There appear to be many reasons for wearing it in Australia besides it's wearing being culturally imposed.

For some wearers, including recent Australian converts, wearing the burqua appears to be a fashion statement and or a means to assert their difference or "individuality" (haha) which in some instances reflects a criminal or malicious intent such as the woman who recently received a well earned 16 months sentence for making a false report to Police and then claiming as a defense, absence of proof of identity. When people behave like criminals they ought to be treated as such.
Posted by JanF, Monday, 29 November 2010 12:29:46 PM
I am insulted by the burqa because, to illustrate, the husband of the
woman in Italy said "I cannot allow other men to see my wife".
That is the purpose of the burqa.
It is a fear that she will be raped by other men if they see her.

That is what is offensive about the burqa !
It is an insult !
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 29 November 2010 1:16:53 PM
I agree with Pip Hinman. It must come down to a woman's choice. It's all well and good to just say 'Ban It' and leave it to the women who choose to wear it to deal with possible consequences such as limited ability to go out in public.
I believe the call for a ban does have a considerable element of racial prejudice driving it.

I receive emails from time to time from members of my network of friends and family that behind the thin veil of national aussie pride are downright hypocritical and overtly anti Islam. I have only this morning sent off a firm rebuke in reply to one such email that echoed the Fred Nile philosophy.

I reminded them that in their celebration of Christianity they are indeed observing codes of dress that were fashionable in Christ's time.

The recent case of a woman being jailed for falsifying evidence when she was called on to verify her identity was not about her wearing a Burka but her own unreasonable response to a police officer who required her to observe the law.
Posted by maracas1, Monday, 29 November 2010 1:26:42 PM
These Burkas leave a large opening for persons not acting inside the law to use. How can a person wearing these things ever drive a car. I recon the police would be very weary of someone inside these suites.
You would think they would be happy to get rid of such an oppressive garb. I just hope immigration from these hard line islamist countries is curtailed.
Posted by 579, Monday, 29 November 2010 2:16:30 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 44
  8. 45
  9. 46
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy