The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It's time to confront the deadliest demon of them all > Comments

It's time to confront the deadliest demon of them all : Comments

By Dan Haesler, published 4/11/2010

One Australian boy or girl suicides every four days and another ten to twenty try.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. All
Dear jayb,
I cover for Mitchell when he's indisposed.
<So, are you saying that if I don't cry at the drop of a hat then I'm part of a sick culture? Please explain!>
Yes, sort of. You're part of a sick culture whether you cry or not.
<I find that the only reason some people get depressed is lack of self disapline> You take the context for granted. Why should life require self-discipline as you call it? Self-discipline suggests a stable, if vicious, environment that only requires discipline to be enjoyed. Why is life "meant to be hard", who says? We have developed brains; why can't we make life easy, or easier? Why is life easy for some and not for others (and I'm not talking mood-swings)?
All your bluster tells me is that you're too busy puffing yourself up to think about it. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you to a point. One of my favourite essays is Emerson's "Self Reliance" (I recommend it to the depressed), but self-discipline is not necessarily the solution to life's ills. Why should we steel ourselves to our situation if it's unjust, or just wrong? Why not change it? Sometimes it takes more courage to fight injustice than to bare it. What can't be endured must be cured.
Posted by Squeers, Wednesday, 24 November 2010 5:25:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy