The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It's time to confront the deadliest demon of them all > Comments

It's time to confront the deadliest demon of them all : Comments

By Dan Haesler, published 4/11/2010

One Australian boy or girl suicides every four days and another ten to twenty try.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
It would be interesting to know what percentage of people committing suicide have mental health issues. I know Davidf often quotes figures as to how many were bullied for their homosexuality. Most that have killed themselves that I have known has been as a result of relationship breakdown. Sometimes it has been pure jealousy. While I am sure there are a percentage that are deranged through smoking to much dope or popping to many pills their are many middle aged men who can't cope with aging or the fact that their missus has done the dirty on them.
Posted by runner, Monday, 8 November 2010 3:40:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Michell: I'm bound to say, Jayb, I find your reasoning rather crude,

Well as Keating once said; "Life wasn't meant to be easy, but with a little hard work & perseverance it can be made tolerable." Life is what it is. It is a hard fact not a mystery. There is no PC in the reality of Life.

Michell: and I'd suggest a ritual book-burning of the texts you mention above. Indeed the whole positive thinking industry is reprehensible.

Why? Are you in favour of negativity? Isn't that one of the causes of suicide? Admittedly The books are some what ancient, <70's & are now considered quaint. It was a pick of about 3000 technical books in my libary. Only 3 novels though. I like to concentrate on facts not fiction. Mind you I do like to read some of the "strange mags" like, Insite Nexus & new dawn, just to see what the fruities are up to. ;-)

Jayb: The other type I perceive as self inflicted. The cause is pure selfishness. They want their own way & when they can't get it, get depressed. They go looking for sympathy & get it. They get what they want.

Do you deny this?

The key to beating Mental illness is "ATTITUDE" Yours! You can "talk" about it or you can "fix" it.

Do you deny this?

All these Social Workers are just keeping themselves in a job. they are not interested in YOU.

Do you deny this?

If someone is bullying you, then it's a reflection on how they feel about themselves, not how they feel about you.

Do you deny this?

Unless they are frightened by evil spirits, etc,in which case they're DH's & can "go jump."

I stand by my statement. Why does the society have to pander to these misfits. It cost valuable resources that could be uses for the betterment of people who are not driven by superstition & self-indulgentness.

If people want to commit suicide it should be a crime to stop them completing the task.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 8 November 2010 3:54:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The reality is that it is only if we have genuine free will that we can actually know anything at all.

If everything is entirely determined by the nature of physical matter – because physical matter is all that there is – then we can’t and don’t really know anything. Things simply happen, not because of any good reasons but just because of the laws of physics.

We don’t need to do any scientific tests to establish if free will is actual or not.

If determinism is true everything is the product of a totally rigid, couldn’t-be-otherwise, mindless machine and all talk is nothing but noise. None of us in this discussion, nor anybody anywhere else, really believes that is the case, so effectively we all believe free will is true and we are almost certainly right.
Posted by JP, Monday, 8 November 2010 9:04:26 PM
*The reality is that it is only if we have genuine free will that we can actually know anything at all.*

JP, in that case my dog has genuine free will, because clearly
my dog knows things.

*Things simply happen, not because of any good reasons but just because of the laws of physics.*

The universe might well be mindless, we don't really know, there
is no evidence. But we do know that evolution theory is based on
dna replicating itself to its best advantage. Could mammals brains
be a result of billions of years of this? Sure.

*so effectively we all believe free will is true and we are almost certainly right*

Some of us can show that perhaps limited will is true, but not
effective free will. If JP had been raised in the bin Laden family,
or a family of Jehovas witnesses, JP might have landed up quite
different in his thinking then he does today. So clearly JP is
not as free as JP seems to think. Both genetics and environment,
have clouded JP's claimed free will.

That is the reality of it.
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 8 November 2010 9:46:56 PM
If people want to commit suicide it should be a crime to stop them completing the task. JayB.

Have you lost a 'young' close relative or friend to suicide JayB? Do you have children who may one day be at real risk?

When you have suffered a loss, that hits you hard or impacts upon your heart, JayB, your hardness and lack of compassion for other people at risk, whatever the causes, may disappear and your views will hopefully change.

Obviously no-one has loved and cared for you during your life and/or you have not allowed yourself to be loved, in order for you to love or care about other people who are suffering.
Posted by we are unique, Monday, 8 November 2010 9:56:36 PM
runner
People suicide for different reasons. I am always fascinated that you continually paint women as the evil doers in relationship breakdowns. Do you really believe that it is only women who "do the dirty" on their partners? That there have never been men who leave their wives and children for another, or because family life might limit their options. That is a dishonest representation.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 8 November 2010 10:38:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All