The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'On Line Opinion' - the next iteration > Comments

'On Line Opinion' - the next iteration : Comments

By Graham Young, published 11/10/2010

'On Line Opinion' was extraordinarily visionary when it first appeared. There are dangers in being the first mover.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18
  13. All
[QUOTE}

the reigns of authority,..[the snood is worn]

Scotland The Brave
Socratic imperatives,..superlative

in a digest of tranquility

sent to warn us all
of the impending undulate of
invasion and inequity

scorned..of digest and equinox affirmation
brought upon by the devil incarnate

himself

[by 134 =56 lost forever]

{!#$+%^..would be its uppercasse error equivelent?}

in the howling tides of time.

So there ya go folks.

THAT'S how I would change the world.
I'm glad to have cleared it up.
[end/quote]

anyhow thats how i understand it...
if sam could affirm...or correct my error..?

this correction..or his
will replace..the text that confused me?

[and confused the post topic even more]
[in an allready confusing post/topic/subject]

[mainly by me errantly..thinking..the old 4 post limit was still egsistant]..and rushing the post with too firm an edit..to the 350

anyhow

may god bless us all
especially your considerations..in clearing up this issue
in creating/sustaining.. a better forum for us all

clearly a better method of sepperating quotes/comment is neded to realisticlly call for moderration on the dispute...confusion

but i fear i have only added to the confusion

sorry to distract from the topic

anyhow
all the best
Posted by one under god, Sunday, 24 October 2010 5:49:17 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Speaking as a contributor, albeit one with a hiatus of several months, it comes as a significant blow to hear of the changes to OLO, changes necessary to keep it afloat as I understand.

Susan P has proved to be long on editorial skills but longer still on interpersonal skills. The latter being even more relevant in my humble opinion.OLO’s loss is her (future) employer’s gain. Ideally something will reveal itself to allow her to stay on at OLO. Something somehow.

With respect to falling revenues may I urge caution before instigating any subscription model? Reason being is that once launched, if it proves unsuccessful, then it’s very, very hard to unscramble that egg. While say a voluntary $2/mth or $3/mth seems reasonable and a light burden on readers, one has to wonder just how many will indeed pay that small amount (especially if other media players in this space do not charge) and if not enough readers pony up subscriptions, then not only will revenue targets be missed, but the subscribers will in time, ferment contempt for the free riders.

If I may suggest, one quick sure fire way to raise revenues is to offer contributors a service:

OLO will burn on a CD all articles published at OLO by that contributor and sell the CD to the contributor. Or anyone else who may seek a copy.

When you decide on a price for such a service Graham, let me know. I'm interested!
Posted by Jonathan J. Ariel, Sunday, 24 October 2010 6:49:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perhaps, in line with Jonathan's above post, those that also "comment" can also purchase their OLO 'comment history'? I have always wondered who "owns" the copyright of the comments - OLO or the commenter, I suspect the latter but maybe Graham can clarify. Some regulars might like to own a CD of their OLO history, some may not. Nevertheless, perhaps one could buy 'their' history on each anniversary date of their joining? Of course, the sums would have to be done. Just a thought.
Posted by qanda, Sunday, 24 October 2010 7:52:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
qanda..raises an interesting point{one no-one*..dare yet give an answer to!}

its unfair..to ask grayham..to put a reply into words at these times]

in the end...morally we EACH..are accountable
thus have moral_ownership..regardless of the bounds/rulings..of mankind

further..there is..a thing..such as copy right/limitations
[that seem to be ever extended further into time..held by coorperations..who hold JOINT-claim..over them...for..{now}.it's the law..

seems possesion/claim..must be able to be defended...thus we need to sign away our..joint-claims..as a condition of entry..its a rather standardised-format..{now]...

so lets move onto..things we CAN do/change...add to..[to sustain all our rights/duties}..here now

i have had to kiss..many forum/moderators..to post content[opinion]..that i hold...[signed many unilateral*_contracts...AS CONDITION OF ENTRY...JUST TO POST

many were deleted*?..as soon as i posted them...{i hasten to add only very few here/..thus my loyalty to grayham/gratitude to grayham/olo..}

the annoyance about..that was...they took my submition's
..then hid it from public vieuw...forever?...

or kept it..as theirs..by right to supress..or hold...as long in private..as they chose..{but such was the past}...

but for their abuse's..i would still be posting on answers...bbc/abc/sbs...and so many other..censoring sites*..{acc-countable close to 100]..

the damage done by officious moderation..and paid to complain readerships..who steal the ideas from all of us..is huge...

BUT TO repeat not here..thus i remain..'on air'..here

anyhow...moving on...i would like the edit option[but realise content must remain in context]..thus the idea of having our own blog pages..to edit the more messy ones

by the way..many are messy..mainly because i found little reward in cleaning them up..at the time..only to have someone steal their intelectual componant..

or find it suppressed or censured..or deleted..[i reasoned if they steal it..they should at least have to clean them up..themselves]

anyhow...its was revealed yesterday that a famouse female auther...RENOWNED for her litterary talent..wrote in gross hand...seems the clear litteration..was the result of the editing hand[heard on bbc yesterday]..not thus its creator..the famed writer

394 word count
ok two posts
Posted by one under god, Monday, 25 October 2010 5:27:53 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
anyhow...we live in interesting times...

for now the costs to hold our info are huge...im told arround..a grand per terror-bit...thus have only since gratitude..for grayham holding..my origonal musings/content/opinion..on air

lets support him..holding it all together
[for ALL OF US]..

and try to make it..even better*

there are many good ideas..but lets get this site PERFECT
[ok as pefect as human error can be]..remember there are many talkers

BUT DOERS do..[ie put uop the best blog/opinion site ...EVA

let computers check for abuse...and following of rules

let editors clean up..the posts..[opinion]
add.. read-ability../clarity

[and thus sign..their work..TOO
sharing the glory..for their highest contribution..readability*]

extra space..but blank mind
ok post
Posted by one under god, Monday, 25 October 2010 5:31:42 AM
With respect to improving the financial viability of the site, might the internet microdonation application 'Flattr' have relevance to OLO?

Flattr is described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flattr

The Flattr homepage is: http://flattr.com/

It seems to me that it is not just that OLO could benefit from donations, but that the interactivity of the site with users could be enhanced by the adoption of something like Flattr. Whilst OLO would in any event be the recipient of the donations made through Flattr under this proposal, it may be that the OLO software could provide that individual articles and/or posts could be nominated as the 'donation points' that earned the 'flattry'.

Such enhanced interactivity of the site may act as an encouragement to better quality of posting to the forum, if the extent of 'flattry' received by articles and/or posts is on public display. A form of voting the popularity of contributions, but one in which voters put their money where their mouth is.

(I suppose one could, perhaps even repeatedly, vote for one's own articles or posts. That would be making 'vanity publishing' work for OLO, wouldn't it? Then again, perhaps not, as such would not constitute real credibility. One of those cases in which 'less' may ultimately mean 'more' with respect to monetary support: if only that principle carried over into the realm of rambling musings and the usage of electronic page space! But I digress.)

It also may come to be, if the adoption of Flattr becomes more widespread throughout the internet community, that an ability to use Flattr in favour of OLO by presently non-registered viewers of OLO may operate to attract more registered users to the site. FWIW it looks as if Canonical Ltd may be adopting Flattr in connection with Ubuntu Linux as a means toward rewarding open source developers. See: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10011113&postcount=26

Just some unpunctuated thoughts as to how words may be really made to count for OLO. It would be a pity if everything came to a full stop.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Tuesday, 26 October 2010 6:52:52 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
  7. 13
  8. 14
  9. Page 15
  10. 16
  11. 17
  12. 18