The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Aboriginal health restored to its proper priority > Comments

Aboriginal health restored to its proper priority : Comments

By Jacqueline Phillips, published 17/9/2010

The initial omission of the Indigenous health portfolio could have just been a clumsy oversight

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Thanks for your reply, Jockey,

No, I'm certainly not blaming people for the situation they are in, not entirely, but I do suggest that self-determination means that the people themselves must find ways around the problems that they find themselves in: who did what in the past is somewhat irrelevant, it's done and it can't be undone. Never forget history, but there is little to be gained by simply finger-pointing.

Surely self-determination means that the people themselves must decide - without necessarily involving yet more outsiders, and yet more outsider dollars - what are the problems, what to do about them and how to implement the solutions.

In other words, to construct and implement their own policies about their own issues. Their problems, their solutions - and of course, their right to make mistakes, over and over again, ad nauseam.

Frankly, I don't spend a single second thinking about solutions to those problems - it's not up to me, so why should I ? There are more important Indigenous issues to be concerned about, Indigenous successes and achievements to come to grips with, such as 25,000 university graduates and what their positive impact may be on Indigenous futures.
Posted by Loudmouth, Monday, 20 September 2010 10:19:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Who's talking about self determination? I think Transky said we should be inclusive, which means involving indigenous people in the decision making and rectification process. "Self determination" is an entirely different subject.

You said about indigenous people, "their right to make mistakes over and over again, ad nauseam". You ARE blaming indigenous people. You did not mention one word about mistakes from others.

I can see you have an agenda or spin on indigenous health issues, it's probably politically or philosophically based. Whereas I can see Transky had a "genuine" concern for the people themselves, and I thinks he's on the right track when he says all the issues that have brought about the current state of affairs on remote based indigenous people must be addresses for there to be a worthwhile and lasting solution. He seems to know what he's talking about, maybe you should listen. But based on your last post I doubt you're interested.
Posted by Jockey, Tuesday, 21 September 2010 4:25:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy