The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia near bottom of the class in government school funding > Comments

Australia near bottom of the class in government school funding : Comments

By Lucas Walsh and Barbara Lemon, published 17/9/2010

A recent report highlights the dangerous trajectory on which Australian public education is heading in relation to its OECD counterparts.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
There was a major review of QLD education, because it had fallen below many OECD standards.

That review did not recommend increased spending on education to bring it up to OECD standards. Instead, it made recommendations such as

“This review has recommended that, as in other professions, aspiring primary
teachers be expected to demonstrate that they meet threshold standards of
readiness for practice – in this case, readiness to teach literacy, numeracy and
science.”

And

“Clear standards also are proposed for students’ literacy, numeracy and
science achievements, with standardised testing every two years.”

http://education.qld.gov.au/mastersreview/pdfs/final-report-masters.pdf

So, more taxpayer money could be handed over to the education system, which simply spends it on increased wages or purchases imports from another country (and show me a teacher who places any priority on purchasing something from Australia), or the recommendations of the Masters report are carried out, and no more taxpayer funding needs to be spent.
Posted by vanna, Friday, 17 September 2010 8:28:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What rubbish.

Having read the link, Australia is above average for funding per student.

The funding per student (all students) for public schooling is lower probably because of the high proportion of kids not in public schooling.

This entire post is based on selectively excised statistics, and many conclusions pop out from nowhere with no logical support.

ie. private schools receive govt funding, therefore must accept all students. Why?

My 14 year old daughter could provide a more cogent argument than this.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 17 September 2010 3:43:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@ShadowMinister, then listen to your daughter!

"ie. private schools receive govt funding, therefore must accept all students. Why?

My 14 year old daughter could provide a more cogent argument than this."

Seemingly, all logic and common sense escape you today, so I will explain...

Strangely, people that fund private education...taxpayers...believe that they should have access to what they fund. However, understandably, greedy selfish elitists believe not.
Posted by MindlessCruelty, Saturday, 18 September 2010 11:59:22 AM
Blame it on the Howard Government, blame it on the Gillard Government, blame it on our growing selfishness and "me, me, me" culture - but public funding for well-resourced, non-government schools just doesn't make one bit of sense.

I have no problem with providing public funding to non-government schools (as long as they're not run by some cult) but when you have some private schools that get millions of dollars in public funding, charge around $20,000 per student/year and have all the facilities you could imagine: swimming pools, cricket ground, rugby field, running track, rowing shed, tennis courts, library, computers galore etc. it boggles the mind.

What's next for the elite schools: ski resort, chartered jetliner, moon excursion trip??

Sadly, both major parties are useless on this issue and as far as I know the Greens just come up with the "its unfair" mantra but don't show us how they would change the funding model.

Someone should do a photo tour showing how much public money is used in all our schools and the results they bring. Or, to be fair we should start giving public money to all private businesses.

http://currentglobalperceptions.blogspot.com/
Posted by jorge, Saturday, 18 September 2010 12:49:26 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Funny, jorge - you just provided quite a good inventory of the facilities at the state school I used to work at. The private school that now employs me is slowly catching up.

MINDLESCruelty, let's not forget that private school parents pay taxes as well. They just pay a little more on top to get what they believe is best for their kids. From experience, they aren't always richer or more privileged. They just have different priorities.
Posted by Otokonoko, Saturday, 18 September 2010 1:31:02 PM
Otokonoko, true, some state schools are very well resourced. But they don't charge such hefty fees. Some state schools do charge some fees if you are in the concert band, rugby team etc but not to the extent of the most expensive non-government schools.

Admittedly not all families who send their children to non-government schools are wealthy. But my concern is that we are using public money to create an inequality in our society. Not all state schools are under-resourced, just as not all private schools are over-resourced.

Do we want a future Australia where private school=good education and public school=bad education?

http://currentlgobalperceptions.blogspot.com/
Posted by jorge, Saturday, 18 September 2010 1:52:30 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy