The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Intelligent debate will respect women wearing the burqa > Comments

Intelligent debate will respect women wearing the burqa : Comments

By Elizabeth Lakey, published 6/9/2010

The paternalistic lack of respect for the women who wear a burqa, masquerading as 'enlightened ideals', is an abomination.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
So ...... In Australia, anybody can wear whatever they like, within decent limits.

Unless they are women, says Runner, because women should not be allowed to wear trousers, since he finds the concept of female equality or power offensive.

And unless they are Muslim women, write many posters, because they should not be allowed to wear either burkas, niqabs or full-body gowns (and presumably hijabs ?) these being unpleasant and offensive in the sight of these other people whose opinions, it seems, are supposed to vastly outweigh those of the Muslim women themselves about what they might wear.

So in equal and democratic Australia, we have a hierarchy ? Men above women, of course, but also pretty much everybody above Muslim women ? The rest of us can all dictate to them at will ? What next, the clothes police ? Come back, Himmler, all is forgiven ?

For Christ's sake, give them a break. If they wish to wear their hijabs, leave them alone. If they are forced to wear hijabs by male relatives, in order to be able to leave the confines of their house, then tolerate it and support their right to wear whatever they like when the opportunity arises. But don't penalise them for some crap cultural practice based on some Neolithic notion of female inequality and danger, and thereby validate male power over them. Don't presume to dictate to them. Leave them be.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 6:10:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Many men have been emasculated by dominant feminism" says Runner.

I'm really taken by that statement. It sounds like something Tony Soprano might have said.

"What is it with women?" he demands of his female psychiatrist. "You ask me how I feel, I tell you and then you beat me round the head with it."

Are Runner and Vanna friends? They both seem to have a big concern about radical feminists de-masculating blokes.

On the question of the burqa, I agree with Suzeonline - there are occasions when everybody must show their face for security and identification. Outside of that, its nobody's business what anybody wears as long as they wear something in public.

I don't want a government that legislates clothing - that's really scary, worse than a whole truck full of radical feminists wearing pants.
Posted by briar rose, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 7:57:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard

AN AUSTRALIAN BURQA & NIQAB

The burqa and niqab appear to be an inexhaustible inspiration for articles on this forum.

As there is still no consensus in view, I too take the liberty of re-posting my thoughts on the question.

Provided commonly accepted public codes of decency are respected, I see no reason to ban any particular form of wearing apparel, dress style, hair-do, face make-up, body decoration, tattoos, jewelery, etc.

This freedom, like all others, should be preserved.

However, just as total nudity in public is generally considered an unacceptable form of sexual exhibitionism, the burqa and the niqab are considered an unacceptable form of religious exhibitionism in all western civilisations of predominately Christian culture.

I propose that we do not pass a law banning Islamic dress. I propose that we pass a law specifically authorising it under certain conditions.

I suggest that a parliamentary commission be established to define what is aesthetically and legally acceptable as Islamic clothing in Australia.

The athorisation should apply to consenting adults only.

A specific Australian design and tissue could be defined, with a limited range of colours. Head and shoulders should be visible. The tissue covering them would need to be perfectly transparent.

The burqa and Niqab in their traditional form are out of context in Australia. They simply do not fit our life style.

As any manufacturer knows, even the most successful products need to be adapted to suit the local market.

Posted by Banjo Paterson, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 9:13:10 PM
Runner<"Much of feminism is about selfishness and me and ignores respecting the wishes of the husband or the best interests of the children."

Selfishness and me? What the...?
Are you serious Runner, or are you having us all on just to upset us ladies?
You must be living in a time warp!

As I have said before Runner, I am sure you would be much more comfortable living in a strict Muslim country where most men actually do rule their women!
Posted by suzeonline, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 9:53:51 PM
I've often thought that runner would make very good Muslim of the Wahabist variety.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 10:31:12 PM
CJ writes

'I've often thought that runner would make very good Muslim of the Wahabist variety.'

and yet CJ is always the first to label critics of Muslim immigration as racist. He is the defender of the faith. I would say your links with the Greens and the violence that goes with those with leftist views puts you a lot closer to the religion of 'peace' than my worldview.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 7 September 2010 11:53:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy