The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Greens enter the main game but at what price? > Comments

Greens enter the main game but at what price? : Comments

By Gary Johns, published 13/8/2010

It is likely that the Greens will hold the balance of power in the Senate after the election, so what can we expect from them?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Sorry Gary, but the very start of this article is based on flawed foundations, and thus what follows crumbles under any examination. Perhaps it is just that, like many people who only served in the House of Reps, there is little understanding of the Senate - but whatever the reasons, this is mostly just flawed, empty recycled mantras with little holding them up.

Just to pick a few:

- the suggestion that "the Greens may be in a strong position to insist on an alliance reminiscent of Tasmanian experience" is just nonsense. The Tasmanian examples, past and present, only occured because of the Greens presence in the Lower House. Unless the Greens win House of Reps seats at this election - which is a genuine prospect but far from certain - AND there was a hung Parliament. Balance of power in the Senate provides no scope to 'insist' on anything of the sort. The Senate is the house of review, not the house of government.

- It is true to describe the Democrats role under Cheryl Kernot (and every other previous and subsequent leader as "constructive". But to characterise "constructive" as "play to the crowd, screw some taxpayer’s money and let the legislation pass" is not just a cheap shot, it shows a total lack of understanding of what a constructive Senate delivers (including, but not just the Democrats, Greens or others on the cross bench who have been in balance of power roles).

- the assertion that Democrat leaders that came after Cheryl Kernot, such as myself, were "more ideological" is made without any evidence to back it up, as is the equally empty assertion that this is what "led to the Democrats demise". If you ask virtually any non-partisan person in Australia what the key factors were which led to the Democrats demise, There would be near unanimity about the few reasons they would give, and almost none of them very few would suggest the reason Gary Johns provides (and if they did, it would only because they were repeating empty, evidence-free assertions by the commentariat).
Posted by AndrewBartlett, Friday, 13 August 2010 10:32:19 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
- Given Gary was a Minister in the Hawke government, it is extraordinary that he could assert that "the Hawke government paid fairly dearly for the second preference strategy to the Greens in 1990." The Greens party vote in 1990 was less than 2 per cent. The vast bulk of the environmental vote at that time was with the Democrats, who polled over 11 per cent - the best result in that party's history. No doubt the Hawke (and Keating) government wanted to maintain some support from environmentally minded voters, but it's hardly unique that a major party looks to do things that might help them maintain the support of one of their voter bases. To suggest this only happened because of a preference strategy shows a breath-taking naivety about how politics and elections work.

- the assertion that renewable energy can't provide baseload power has been totally discredited so often that it is hard to believe that anyone could still make the assertion without knowing that it is false.

- stating that "the Greens will demand a place at the table of Australia’s premier economic advisory bodies" is just pathetic scaremongering. Such economic advisory bodies could well benefit from a wider range of input (and there have been signs in recent years that such bodies do have a greater understanding on the interconnection between economic and environmental factors - certainly far better than Gary Johns does), but the Greens will be in no more of a position to "demand" such a thing than the Democrats were.
Posted by AndrewBartlett, Friday, 13 August 2010 10:32:37 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm a Labor member as those who read my contributions at OLO might know. But I'll say this: I'm glad the Greens helped negotiate and support welfare reform in the face of a rising cost of living. And I hope we have a re-elected Labor government; with Labor and the Greens co-operating like that in the future too.

I think the role of the Greens should be critical and reasonably conditional support for Labor. If they demand too little - both on the environmental and social justice fronts - their supporters will be disappointed. If they demand too much they'll be viewed as obstructionists - and that would hurt them too.

But never forget the mistake Meg Less made in supporting the GST. That destroyed the Democrats.
Posted by Tristan Ewins, Friday, 13 August 2010 11:14:14 AM
Interesting piece Gary, it has occurred to me that amidst all the Bob Brown worship (and hey, don't get me wrong, I love the guy too) there is scant attention given to the question of how the Greens will facilitate good government beyond their pet concerns. I guess we'll know when the first tough decision hits their desk. Perhaps some time taking direct responsibility for Government across a diverse nation like this one will chasten the zeal? Finally, Andrew B's responses above are hilarious. Mate, haven't you been on the public teet for long enough? As PJK said, Get a Real Job.
Posted by bitey, Friday, 13 August 2010 1:02:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Of course Gary was or is a fellow at the Institute of Public Affairs, the applied politics of which, along with all the other right-wing think tanks, is described in shocking detail here.

http://www.naomiklein.org/shock-doctrine

The book was of course loathed by all the propaganda hacks that infest these stink-tanks.

Plus Adbusters always provides a truly shocking alternative to the lies of the global right-wing public relations spin-meisters

http://www.adbusters.org

Plus check out The Rise of the Global Scientific Dictatorship by Andrew Marshall in the latest Nexus Magazine. The brave new world brought to one and all by the right-wing stink tanks.

Lewis Mumford's Invisible Mega-Machine made manifest with deadly effect all over the planet.

Or check out the work of Henry Giroux
Posted by Ho Hum, Friday, 13 August 2010 1:26:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actually, I suspect we'll face things more like this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/greenpolitics/taxandtheenvironment/7937911/Business-facing-a-wave-of-green-taxes.html

"Business leaders criticised the CRC — which was created by Labour but implemented by the Coalition — as “complex and bureaucratic”. One accused ministers of swinging “a big hammer” at companies and questioned whether it would have any environmental benefits"

"The Environment Agency, which will run the scheme for the Government, has refused even to publish a list of the companies that are required to register."

Sounds like greens have been reading Kafka again ...
Posted by Clownfish, Friday, 13 August 2010 7:49:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy