The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Moving forward to same sex marriage > Comments

Moving forward to same sex marriage : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 11/8/2010

For Gillard infertile heterosexuals have better rights than gays.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Dear Runner - "Proposition 8 failed to "advance any rational basis" to deny gay men and lesbians a marriage license.

"Indeed the evidence shows Proposition 8 does nothing more than enshrine in the California constitution the notion that opposite sex couples are superior to same sex couples," Walker wrote.

"Because California has no interest in discriminating against gay men and lesbians and because Proposition 8 prevents California from fulfilling its constitutional obligations to provide marriages on an equal basis, the court concludes that Proposition 8 is unconstitutional."
Posted by briar rose, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 5:22:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you Dr Wilson for a well-thought out and compassionate article, from a gay man of 67, who has been with the same-sex partner for 38 years. In the meantime, about half of my siblings' and cousins' heterosexual marriages have failed. Doug.
Posted by Doug, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 8:13:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you, Jennifer Wilson!
Don't forget that Argentina also legalised Same-sex marriage last month, as the first Latin American country to do so.

Not that it should matter to Australians what other countries do or don't do, but it does show that it will be inevitable that in the future, Australia will accept same-sex marriage as the 'rippling effect' will reach our shores :)

I am very disappointed that Julia Gillard does not aim to 'move forward' in this area.
She doesn't even attempt to explain how she justifies discriminating against same-sex couples.
She merely claims that marriage should remain between a man and a woman, and that's it.
So what's a reason for discrimination against same-sex couples?

Just because she says so?

Diver dan,
Is it normal for one to ignore one's sexuality just to please some kind of out-dated religious morality?
Shouldn't ever adult be able to enjoy a relationship of their choice and be able to fully express their love for each other?

Is in normal to tell other adults who they can or cannot have sex with, or who they cannot marry?

Who decides what is normal anyway?
Posted by Celivia, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 8:21:46 PM
Just thought I'd let you all know (this "family values" thing), that I am doing the evening meal (Caesar salad) here on the West coast (Perth) whilst my 60 year-old male partner visits his 87 year-old mother in hospital.
Posted by Doug, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 8:42:19 PM
I agree with the author that same sex marriage should be allowed in a secular society such as Australia. Legalising gay marriage has not caused the sky to fall in in other countries has it?

However, I do not agree with her flogging Julia Gillard's lifestyle choices just to make a point for gay marriage.

No one imagines that Julia made this decision about not allowing marriage for gay couples by herself do they?

It is obviously a party policy that was voted on by all the party members. She may or may not agree with it and may or may not have voted for it.

If the gay Minister for Climate Change, Energy Efficiency and Water, Penny Wong, was unable to procure legal gay marriage for the party, then what chance had Julia Gillard?

Most of the members of both major parties are apparently straight, married, Christian men with children.

What chance does a bill legalising gay marriage have with that lot? None.
Posted by suzeonline, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 10:05:12 PM
suzeonline - there are interviews with Gillard over the last few years where she states that her personal view is that marriage is for women and men, not same sex couples.

The Marriage Act was changed in 2004 by the Howard government so that marriage can only be between men and women.

Prior to 2004 there was no such restriction on marriage in Australia.

The Act was deliberately amended by Howard to prevent gay marriage.
Posted by briar rose, Wednesday, 11 August 2010 10:29:53 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy