The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gillard and the Gen Y vote > Comments

Gillard and the Gen Y vote : Comments

By Ramya Krishnan, published 20/7/2010

Now more than ever Julia Gillard cannot afford to be seen as sitting on her hands on the critical issue of climate change.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Good economics is not just "built on on buoying economic prosperity" - it is built on avoiding marked peaks and troughs of prosperity, especially those associated with failed or dead-end policies.

Transforming Australia to a low pollution economy will require billions of dollars in investment before there is any possible benefit, and that needs to be managed against a background of Australia being at arms-length from much much bigger emitters, and being a drop in the big world economy.

Steady as she goes is best, particularly after the flop of Copenhagen, the recent decade-long plateau of temperatures, and the turmoil of the East Anglia email debacle (made more significant that it was by the sceptics).
Posted by McReal, Tuesday, 20 July 2010 10:02:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“…the critical issue of climate change.”

This ‘great moral dilemma’ ceased to be of critical importance after Rudd’s humiliating defeat at Copenhagen. Life went on, and will continue to go on if absolutely nothing is done about climate change.

The critical issues for Australian voters are the economy, housing, jobs, illegal entrants and increasing population caused by immigration.

The climate? There’s nothing we can do about it. The “young people” are still young enough to think that they have, or will have the answers; but when it comes their turn to do anything, they will have matured, lost their naivety, and come to terms with the hard facts of life.

They don’t seem to realise that we were all young once. And, a generation Y-er talking about the old chestnut a ‘a fair go’ is a joke, given that her generation is the most self-absorbed and selfish one yet. To them, climate change is just something to believe in; they don’t have much else.

I wonder how many of these young people are among the 1.4 million Australians who haven’t even bothered to register to vote
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 20 July 2010 10:52:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Every time I see an article by someone from the AYCClub, I wonder if I will see yet another instance of a completely self obsessed overblown sense of entitlement.

I was not disappointed by this article.

I wonder if the AYCC knows that it's not all about them.

I'm guessing though the most socially obsessed generation yet, would really come out strong not about climate change (it does you know, and will continue to change regardless) but if we cut off the electricity that powered computers (no Facebook) and cell phones.

Then you really could enjoy the peace your parents experienced.

Mind you, you'd have to give up the self adulation somewhat.

So you all got sucked in by Kevin Rudd's "I've got a plan!", and it turned out he didn't, so what will you do about it.

You'll line up and grovel to the next ALP leader .. there's no mention of any other way to get what the AYCClub wants, except via the ALP. They give you attention!

Guess what, they don't even have to bother with you at all, they know you are rusted on and at such a young age too. You are all little sucked in ALP voters, you buy all the crap they spin at you, and then write articles begging for more.

Hey, maybe they will run another best and brightest festival, because the last one was so effective.(you could even run your own, oh .. but then, who would notice and it's all about attention with gen Y isn't it?)

Do you all feel like a bunch of failures?

Copenhagen wasn't the big party you thought it would be?

Your parents also had to deal with not getting their own way at times.

Maturity is a great leveler, ask an adult.
Posted by Amicus, Tuesday, 20 July 2010 11:25:17 AM
This climate change youth group has 50,000 members! Dear lord but activists can get organised can't they?
This writer, in her youth, has made the classic mistake of confusing activism with popularity. Simply because there are a lot of activists pushing a particular cause does not mean it is popular with youth, or the electorate in general. It just means that those pre-disposed towards believing that human activity causes climate change are more likely to join organisations.
That said, climate change was undoubtedly a factor in the last election. Whether it will be a major factor in this election remains to be seen - although the green preferences will be crucial for labor. For the big factor which tipped Rudd out of office was undoubtedly illegial immigration. That's the real hot buttom issue in marginal electorates, forget climate change.
Posted by Curmudgeon, Tuesday, 20 July 2010 11:49:25 AM
A nice segue here with re youth and number of young people apparently not enrolled to vote as per the George Williams story today on OLO.

I agree with the other posters. Immigration and population will be big issues. Climate change will be in the top 10 but I fear editors are 'over it'.

One problem that Ramya doesn't point out is that there are only ten people in Australia who understand what an ETS is and how it would work - and I'm not one of the ten. Climate change = hard. Darkies invading our northern coastline and then eating our food and driving on our roads! I can understand that.
Posted by Cheryl, Tuesday, 20 July 2010 12:02:00 PM
What a bunch of grumpy old comments!
Sorry Ramya, OLO is a idealism free zone at times.
Most of theses guys believe Global warming is a hoax, conspiracy, or just sheer arrogant incompetence. They are wrong, but any uncertainty at all is being taken for error and malice.
Our economy *is* overwhelmingly oil based, and all the "winners" under this system believe they are fighting for truth, honesty and their way of life...it is a very visceral thing. The fact that much of the profits goes overseas, and the profit share is increasing as the expense of workers (ie, young people) is usually ignored.
Rather then face up to concepts that cause cognitive dissidence, it is much easier to brand the young as ignorant, scientists as corrupt (all of the qualified ones, they quote the bought ones!) and the last 50 years as the "way things are".
To be fair, there has been a lot of hype around some green tech...for instance electric cars have been spruiked for years, yet they have been impractical without modern electronics, brush-less motors and Lithium batteries that don't explode. Now they are feasible (due to very recent tech) we need scaling up and economies of scale. This is also true of solar voltaic, wind, tide and geothermal...all need some pretty recent tech to be competitive with old dead plants.
For national grids we need something along the scale of the Snowy river project...this requires parts of GDP that are currently reserved for 2nd investment properties, luxury yachts and tax havens, so you can expect a fight from some very powerful interests...and those that fawn to power too.
Posted by Ozandy, Tuesday, 20 July 2010 12:31:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy