The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why gay marriage is good for straight women > Comments

Why gay marriage is good for straight women : Comments

By Samantha Stevenson, published 19/7/2010

Marriage has long been enshrined in patriarchal and religious values that have done nothing to improve the lot of women.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 21
  11. 22
  12. 23
  13. All
jason84,

“Because there are heterosexuals who sell their body for money, then that makes you a pervert….”

Pardon me? How does it make me a pervert? Apart from the fact that I have never bought sex in my life, selling of sex is said to be the oldest profession for both sexes. Rent boys flog it, too.

You are entitled to present any argument you wish, but please try make sense.

In the meantime, homosexuality is a perversion, and if you are part of that perversion, that’s your business. Just don’t try to pretend that it is normal behaviour and expect the social institutions you scorn to accept you.
Posted by Leigh, Monday, 19 July 2010 10:40:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not normal behaviour for you Leigh if you are heterosexual, but normal for someone who is homosexual.

No-one is advocating the forcing of homosexuality on heterosexuals but it appears some are comfortable with forcing an 'unnatural' sexuality on those who are born different from the mainstream.
Posted by pelican, Monday, 19 July 2010 10:48:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@ Leigh

Well like I said in my previous post. If your going to judge me and label me a pervert simply because Im gay, well fair is fair so Im also going to make wild assumptions about you - because thats what you did to me. I pity you.
Posted by jason84, Monday, 19 July 2010 11:16:44 PM
The opponents of gay marriage have been arguing for ages that allowing same-sex couples to marry will fundamentally change the character of heterosexual marriage. Generally this claim depends on the view that the purpose of marriage is to produce children, an argument that falls flat on its face the minute anyone produces a happily married childless couple, or a pair of pensioners who are tying the knot.

This is the first time I've seen someone arguing that allowing same-sex couples to marry will bring about fundamental change by altering the power relations within heterosexual marriage. The argument does seem to rely on a very jaundiced view of contemporary marriage, ignoring the fact that everyone has to negotiate the mores of their relationship these days, not just those in de facto relationships (straight or same-sex). Long gone are the days when immediately after their wedding the happy couple settled into a set of pre-ordained roles and duties. Today every couple works out their respective roles, and adjusts this arrangement constantly.

It's kinda nice that Stevenson thinks gay marriages will be a model for the utopian pairings she has in mind, but the fact is that today's successful gay couples are doing the same as straight ones: using a genuinely loving relationship as the platform for negotiating the household chores, and seeking the least uncomfortable way to meet all the shared responsibilities.

Gay marriage isn't going to save heterosexual marriage – each of us has to put in the effort to make our relationships work.
Posted by woulfe, Monday, 19 July 2010 11:53:32 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is indeed a sad inditment on our society if the future direction of this once great nation is decided by the preferencial use of our toiletry body functions. Me thinks you look before you leap for the rock you despise may be your downfall.
Posted by Richie 10, Tuesday, 20 July 2010 6:19:58 AM
"Marriage has long been enshrined in patriarchal and religious values that have done nothing to improve the lot of women."

Absolute utter tripe!

"Marriage" is the joining together of a man and a woman in the act of reproducing ourselves (when possible) in a supportive and cooperative context where each has a role which is defined by our physiology and culture.

"And the two shall become one"

Try to re-invent the wheel if you want.. and even try to make it have 4 sides instead of a circumference, but in the end the good old circle version works best.

Take faith out of marriage and let her rip!..... see where it all ends.

Gay marriage is a against 'natural law', Gods pattern, social cohesian, moral stability and common sense. It also involves the abuse of children through an un-natural family structure.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Tuesday, 20 July 2010 6:50:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 21
  11. 22
  12. 23