The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gillard's war > Comments

Gillard's war : Comments

By Kellie Tranter, published 15/7/2010

The major political parties can't offer any sensible, rational, factual or logical explanation for remaining in Afghanistan.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
It is not what they say - it is what they do!

Let JG keep rambling about "national security", so long as our brave soldiers are doing their best to save Afghan men and especially women from the terrible atrocious regime of the Taliban.

Can you imagine living in a world where women must cover completely and are not allowed to study, to work or leave home without a male-guardian? Can you imagine living in a world where women can be arbitrarily stoned to death for allegations of associating with a man, or for being raped? Can you imagine living in a world where music is forbidden? where beards are mandatory? where it is not safe to venture out without a rifle?

While dismissing the "national security" and "terrorist" claims as nonsense, as a member of the Australian public I do hail our soldiers in Afghanistan, pray for them and wish there were more of them there, so their holy mission to free the Afghani people can be successful.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 15 July 2010 12:21:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu: << as a member of the Australian public I do hail our soldiers in Afghanistan, pray for them and wish there were more of them there, so their holy mission to free the Afghani people can be successful. >>

"holy mission" - WTF?

Australia should withdraw its troops ASAP, before more are sacrificed in an unwinnable war at the behest of an unscrupulous "ally".

P.S. Boazy, Marx lived in the 19th century, not the 18th - but who am I to question such a well-educated historian as you?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 15 July 2010 12:37:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CJ Morgan,

I have no concern for this or that "ally", but for the miserable Afghani people. Perhaps you should spend your next incarnation as an Afghani girl, asking "why have the Australians deserted and failed to save me?".

Australian soldiers are not "sacrificed": they volunteered as professional soldiers, knowing from day one that their job involves risking their life and limb. Saving the Afghani people is a better cause to die for than most, as well as a better use of my tax-payer money than most.

When we have the right motive in mind, the war can be won.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 15 July 2010 1:08:50 PM
An interesting article in last weeks' Guardian by William Dalrymple underlines the West's increasing irrelevance in Afghanistan.

He believes regional players like Pakistan and even India
have better chances of helping to procure peace.

In fact, it seems Hamid Karzai is very much interested in such players.

However, Karzai being friendly with the Pakistani Intelligence (ISI, which is also friendly with the Taliban seems a strange way of heading for peaceful solutions?
Posted by bushbred, Thursday, 15 July 2010 2:17:07 PM
Yuyutsu, I can see that you've bought the pretext for the war in Afghanistan, as opposed to the reason for it. I agree that the Taliban are loathsome, but I disagree that it's worth sending Australian troops to die or be maimed in Afghanistan in a futile effort to defeat them militarily.

What I reacted to was your description of Australian military involvement in Afghanistan as a "holy mission". The Taliban think that their mission is holy, which is sufficient justification for them to impose their medieval strictures on everybody else.

I don't support holy wars waged by anybody, whether it's the Taliban or the ADF.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Thursday, 15 July 2010 2:32:08 PM
cj :) *gotcha*.. u passed.

Planta... you've been on every side of politics ? errr sounds a tad unstable there... where will you be tomorrow Pete ?
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Thursday, 15 July 2010 2:58:31 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy