The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Bravery or dogged endurance? > Comments

Bravery or dogged endurance? : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 9/7/2010

In a world where risk has been managed almost out of existence people often mislabel endurance as bravery.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
the last example was the most apropos - clearing landmines would certainly be right up there as the most altruistic and gutsy effort by an individual or more and modern life is not short of opportunities to be brave - like being a journalist in the Philippines, for example, or Afghanistan or Iraq, or merely having a difference of opinion with someone who hasn't a civilised bone in his body. Driving is risky, but road rage makes it even more so.

As St John Chrysostom put it, "Violence is not overcome by violence, but by forebearance."

And danger is not overcome by foolhardiness but by courage, which is an act of will, not anger.
Posted by SHRODE, Friday, 9 July 2010 1:10:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have sailed long distances, single handed, I have raced around Bathurst, I have flown jet fighters off air craft carriers, & I have ridden show jumpers, but none of these required any bravery. They were things I wanted to do, & I believed I was good enough to do them with out much danger to me.

The thought of clearing land mines turns my blood cold. I don't know if I could even raise the courage to go near one.

Clearing them for others, you don't even know is bravery beyond my understanding. No, I can't understand it, but I can admire it more than I have ever admired anything.

Those are the type of heroes the world needs more of.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 9 July 2010 6:58:50 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Brian your article made me think about what it means to be brave.

After some thought I think bravery relates to doing what one believes is the right thing despite the consequences. Especially brave when the consequences are great - such as death, loss of a job, or ridicule.

We can all be 'brave' when we no longer give a toss.

I don't think Jessic Watson is a heroine, but she was brave to embark on a sea journey on small boat by herself and in the middle of the ocean for a number of weeks. Not sure I would or could do the same.
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 11 July 2010 2:12:46 PM
Bravery is what the police, child protection workers, animal welfare inspectors, ambos and many other "ordinary" folk do just about every day. They have no idea what they are likely to come up against when they go into a situation. Drug-fuelled violence, a crazy with a gun or a knife, extreme abuse and so on - all in a day's work. And it's all necessary work, unlike a lot of what else gets described in the media as "bravery".

People who take big unnecessary risks and assume that, if it all goes pear-shaped, others will risk their necks to rescue them - that's not bravery. Selfish perhaps, stupid maybe, inconsiderate certainly. But brave? Give me a break.
Posted by huonian, Sunday, 11 July 2010 3:53:51 PM
That begs the question, can one be stupid and brave?
:)
Posted by pelican, Sunday, 11 July 2010 4:40:50 PM
In relation to bravery, stupidity and selfishness [may I add Pelican]

It has always been my view that Voluntary Rural firefighters who have babies, toddlers and young children, offering to travel into other states and/or other areas risking and having their lives taken, to save other peoples families, I find deem selfish and irresponsible.

I am referring here to interstate firefighters with very young children they are raising. Particularly those voluntary firefighters who risk their lives on each occasion there are firestorms 40+ with 90km+ winds and dry conditions [ie the right conditions for firestorms]travelling to other states, greatly increasing their risk losing their life.

I admire those voluntary firefighters who risk their lives with no children/family responsibilities, retired or semi retired. Yes, they have loved ones, however not leaving behind young children whose lives are ruined by their voluntary actions.

Quite a few mothers I have witnessed over past years trying to work through their childrens grieving process, in addition to their own, accompanied by financial hardship after losing their partner in yet another major bushfire; often miles away from home or interstate.

It is fine for those who have their children raised and independent; not so for those parents of young kids.

Similarly, women who have just given birth to their children and have toddlers and young children in primary school, travelling to Afghanistan and other countries, who may on occasions, have a choice in staying close to raise their young children.

Again, children suffering unnecessarily as a result of 'bravery'.
Posted by we are unique, Sunday, 11 July 2010 10:54:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy