The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why Roddick’s s*x shops are a sell out > Comments

Why Roddick’s s*x shops are a sell out : Comments

By Abigail Bray, published 9/6/2010

The slick ideological con of Coco de Mer: empowerment doesn’t come packaged as a sex toy.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
C'mon. This is an advertisement, isn't it?

Very subtle, but very clever. I bet Roddick's PR people are behind it, laughing their knickers off.

Except they probably don't wear them.

But thanks anyway, for quite the funniest OLO article in a long while.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 9 June 2010 8:26:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
OLO has sunk to an unexpected low with this story.

Suttle? yes, about as suttle as a BD anti Islam post of yesteryear or.. a log splitter.

The 'comforting' thing about all this, is that life is finite. The morons purveying this rubbish will one day be wrinkly and old.. cast off to the scrap heap..or.. they will just get some horrible disease in their 'liberated' youth..and suddenly the house of cards will come crashing down.

This kind of thing is like the Tower of Babel... same mentality.

We all know what happened there..and it didn't end well for the Babylonians.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Wednesday, 9 June 2010 8:42:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
By the sound of the products and services there is an opportunity here to cross market. It seems that every pet emporium around has a product range that would cater to the sexually adventurous. We could brand the chain "Precocious Pet and People Warehouse", Our slogan could be "everything for the boudoir bitch, at doggy prices”.
Posted by sonofgloin, Wednesday, 9 June 2010 10:22:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pericles is right - it's got to be a marketing thing, and a very funny one too. It's just too caricatured to be serious.

However, I note that it was simultaneously posted on the wowserish Melinda Tankard Reist's blog today. Have they been had, or do they really believe this hysterical prudery?

The shops themselves sound like 'Sex and the City' meets 'The Body Shop'. Certainly questionable in terms of taste and dodgy marketing, but I can't see why consenting (and apparently wealthy) adults can't indulge their sexual tastes if they want to. Nobody's forced to go into these shops if they disapprove of what they sell.

I'm a supporter of feminism, but not of the shrill wowserism expressed in this article.
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 9 June 2010 10:59:34 AM
Great comment, Pericles.

Sounds to me that the very canny Roddick is parting overly cashed-up from their dollars. Healthy capitalism. Anyone stupid enough to pay £239 for a human hair whip... well, I am clearly lost for words.

R0ddick - you go girl.

Abigail Bray, trying to link this piece of high-end (no pun intended) marketing with child sexual abuse is very tawdry. About as tawdry as many of Roddick's customers.

However, I am now enlightened to consider the carbon footprint of sex-toys, thank you.
Posted by Severin, Wednesday, 9 June 2010 11:01:59 AM
CJ

Its hard to call yourself a supporter of a movement that you don't seem to understand. The point of the article was that selling over-priced sex-toys to rich people does little to make this world a bwtter place for women. This business makes money by dressing up consumerism and conforming to current fashions as feminism.
Posted by benk, Wednesday, 9 June 2010 1:54:42 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy