The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Criminalising HIV > Comments

Criminalising HIV : Comments

By Joe Thomas, published 2/6/2010

The policy of criminalisation of HIV infection is not based on sound public health principles.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
While I appreciate that Dr Joe Thomas is concerned with his own field, and knows far more about this episode than I ever will, I think he overstates the case. My memory of the case it that there are multiple partners involved, if so knowing consent is highly unlikely. If anything the case to which he refers would emphasise the basic message to the HIV infected that their partners must know of their infection beforehand, and this may help with the infection rates which makes him anxious. As for infection rates Australia has been extremely fortunate compared with, say, Britain or the US, and most particularly with Africa. There are various reasons why we have been so lucky and this instance may be one of them. I don't agree that it has demonised HIV. We are all well beyond that.
Posted by Curmudgeon, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 11:55:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While I agree that having unprotected sex with a stranger is silly in this day and age. It is also very important that if a conversation about the issue had taken place between the two parties. That full disclosure of the fact that the man had HIV would be must. I you engaue in an act that you know may cuase another party harm then you should be punished.
Posted by Kenny, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 12:17:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wouldn't it be dreadful if HIV, & AIDS were finally eliminated, by doing something like this charge.

Poor Joe would find himself an expert in nothing.

[Deleted for abuse].
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 1:24:43 PM
I can't believe this turkey of a writer trotted out the 'xenophobia' word. Like it's an issue that this SOB is an immigrant? He engaged in unprotected sex with a great many partners without disclosing his infected status. That's the ISSUE!

This is so deserving of not only criminal charges and punishment but of somebody, perhaps one or more of his victims, rendering him incapable of ever being able to transmit his infection SEXUALLY ever again.

Wonder if the 'DR' would be of the same sentiments if his daughter, sister or another family member or close friend was a victim of this mongrel behaviour?
Posted by divine_msn, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 3:09:11 PM
Joe,
The crime wasn't in having aids, it is what he did knowing he had it.

It is that, he deliberately or through wanton indifference was party to subverting the well being of others. In short it's the alleged behaviour that is the crime.
Posted by examinator, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 3:23:14 PM
The author writes
'This was a golden opportunity for the public health authorities to reinforce the message of “protected sex during every sexual encounter” and it has been squandered.'

Any parent with any sense will see this as a golden opportunity to teach their boys and girls some morals. Commonsense and decency has been lost since we embraced secular dogma. This is more rotten fruit being produced by those shaking their puny fists at God and decency.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 2 June 2010 3:44:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy