The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Criminalising HIV > Comments

Criminalising HIV : Comments

By Joe Thomas, published 2/6/2010

The policy of criminalisation of HIV infection is not based on sound public health principles.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
People with HIV have rights as well as responsibilities. While having right to health and well-being, they have a responsibility to keep their infection within themselves not to transmit anyone else. If someone knowingly transmits HIV to others, it is a criminal act and they should be punished after proving the act. We should keep HIV status confidential and support HIV positive to live a productive life and take preventive measures. This will help them live and those not tested for HIV, go for HIV testing and follow prevention.

PLHIV should disclose their HIV status to their sexual partners and make proper use of condoms at all times during every sexual act, and condoms should be accessible to them. Condoms should be used even while PLHIV on Antiretroviral Therapy and when viral load is undetectable as it is not yet approved that they are risk free. Undetectable viral load does not mean that they have no virus, they can still transmit HIV to others during unprotected sex or through blood to blood contact. Sometimes they can transmit drug resistant HIV virus to others.

Condoms are safe if used properly, with valid date and with lubricants. If condom breaks during the sexual act by mistake, Post Exposure Therapy should be accessible to all not limiting to only medical community. Abstinence to sex is not the solution as sex is a biological need, even if HIV positive.

If the unprotected sex happens between both parties with consent, it is a different issue. "If I risk my life to HIV knowingly by having unprotected sex with PLHIV, I am responsible. No one can punish me as I can decide for myself".

But majority of the HIV infection happens unknowingly from those not yet tested for HIV and we need to change our prevention strategy and create a friendly environment so that every individual go for HIV testing and get their HIV status known.

We should not support those who transmit HIV knowingly. We should take them to court and they should be punished so that no one knowingly transmit HIV to others anymore.
Posted by Celina, Tuesday, 8 June 2010 2:23:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy