The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Goldie Hawn could teach Julia Gillard a thing or two! > Comments

Goldie Hawn could teach Julia Gillard a thing or two! : Comments

By Phil Cullen, published 24/5/2010

You know what? Goldie Hawn knows a lot more about learning and schooling than Julia Gillard.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Behind Goldie Hawn's opinions and the messages embedded in this piece by Phil is a question which really needs to be addressed--- " Does society really know how it learns?". I don't think it does, and like others have stated before me, I'm beginning to think that "education backed the wrong horse when it backed ( mainstream) psychology". Psychology has never been comfortable with learning and/or learning theory mainly because learning involves constructing meaning and meaning causes problems when one tries to measure it.As several of my psychology colleagues have told me when I've asked them why they equate learning with the memoristation and forgetting of nonsense syllables they tell me that " meaning would contaminate their findings"!
Cambo
Posted by Cambo, Monday, 24 May 2010 10:40:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If only Phil Cullen could replace Julia Gillard! We need an educator with Phil's experience, knowledge and common sense running education in our country. I wonder if Julia Gillard might at least appoint him as an advisor. I don't expect Julia, a lawyer, to understand teaching and learning. I do, however, expect her to listen to people like Phil Cullen.
Posted by david1946, Monday, 24 May 2010 11:09:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry Phil.

It's not you, it's me.

But when I saw the headline...

"Goldie Hawn could teach Julia Gillard a thing or two!"

...I suddenly had this mental flashback to the movie "Bird on a Wire", where Goldie Hawn... that thong... Julia Gillard...

...and I couldn't read any further.

I'm sure you understand.
Posted by Pericles, Monday, 24 May 2010 1:19:42 PM
Goldie's ideas would be really great, if we could all grow up to be film stars, [such as she may be].

On the other hand it would appear that Phil Cullen has had more than a little to do with the loss of standards in our current system. He had a chance & failed, miserably.

I am not normally a Julia fan, but fitting a bit of results driven work into the mess we have now, is the best thing she has done.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 24 May 2010 5:18:45 PM
It seems to me,looking in very much from the outside,that the whole NAPLAN/My School fandango is very much a symptom of the credentialism which has infected our education system,from kindergarten to university.

Education is a life long process and I don't see how school league tables and all the other paraphernalia of the competitive education system will enhance the ability of students in this regard.
Posted by Manorina, Tuesday, 25 May 2010 7:34:25 AM
The only one who who could teach Julia Gillard anything was the Uni she went to. She was successfully indoctrinated for life to ignore reality.
Posted by individual, Tuesday, 25 May 2010 10:44:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy