The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Multiculturalism is the way to go > Comments

Multiculturalism is the way to go : Comments

By Mohammed Ali, published 21/5/2010

Multiculturalism: a garden with many different roses is better than a garden with only one type.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
No Mate, not multiculturalism but gradual mixed breeding.
Posted by individual, Friday, 21 May 2010 9:29:09 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhian,

The question of what level of population is optimum for Australia is a totally different issue from how the various ethnic groups relate to each other and to the state,or whether 'ethnicity' has any relevance at all in a modern society.
Posted by mac, Friday, 21 May 2010 9:58:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhian,
<<it’s good to be reminded that the most important benefit of multiculturalism is that it gives us a richer, more diverse and more enjoyable society and culture and brings to Australia people who make great contributions to our collective wellbeing.>>

Instead of parroting the usual multicultural melange of meaningless logorrhoea, please explain specifically how Islam has made Australia "a richer...and more enjoyable society and culture and how it brings to Australia people who make great contributions to our collective wellbeing."

I really want to know so that I can weigh it in the balance against the obvious profound disadvantages that manifest themselves daily around the globe.
Posted by Proxy, Friday, 21 May 2010 10:32:30 PM
BANJO...SAYS The biggest lie told to us is 'Unity in Diversity'

Myyyy my mate.. you are going close to the line there.. in fact.. if your're in Victoria, you are clearly advocating 'discrimination' yep..ur an evil bloke :)

(but wait....I'm sure I've heard lots of Unionists chanting "The WORKERS.. DIVIDED..will NEVER be DEFEATED" heaps of times..no? :)

But don't worry.. my mates at the "Evil Opportunism and Human Reich"
commission will sort your 'evilness' out...now that they have been given a NEW POWER by Greens and Labor.

That new power.. is this

//In cases of serious or systemic discrimination, the stronger law will ensure persistent discrimination can be INVESTIGATED and compliance enforced.//

i.e.. a NEW POWER which enables them now to 'initiate' investigations withOUT a complaint.

You might think "how could this effect me"?

aaah..just looking at the various politically incorrect comments here.. I can see exactly what they will be aiming at.

NOWWW they don't need to wait for someone to complain about 'hate speech' or the such like..they can just drop in as an identity here..take notes.. subpoena Graham Youngs records and hunt your sorry ass down, drag you kicking and screaming into a "tribunal" and send you off for "re-education" as well as fine you to within an inch of your life.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1577982/Bishop-fined-in-gay-discrimination-case.html

Our law...is the same as theirs.

The Evil Opportunism commissars have a differente view from you and I about what 'serious' means.

I invite ALL here.. to join in the 'Marice Strong Green Savour of mankind" thread/discussion to follow along the trail of where all this is coming from. There *is* a connection.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Saturday, 22 May 2010 6:26:42 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mohammed Ali,

Australia was founded on a multi-ethnic population and has continued to do so. Our multi-ethnic society is founded, as part of that process, upon immigrants adopting Australia and becoming Australians.

Multi-Cultural however, implies that the cultural values of immigrants should not only be maintained but valued and appreciated by Australians. There seems to me to be a perverse schizophrenia in a desire to migrate to Australia to enjoy the benefits of the society we have created through our values, yet wish to maintain those values that caused you to leave your country of origin in the first place.

So many immigrants, supported by Multi-Cultural advocates, not only feed this schizophrenia, they seem to make it worse by highlighting the fact that some immigrants do not like our society as it stands, and wish to make it better suited to “their” culture. Muti-ethnic on the other hand does not suffer these contradictions because it accepts our society the way it is and wishes to be part of it.

Culture, it must be acknowledged, is a significant source of the difference between what is right and wrong. By that I mean something socially, legally or religiously acceptable in a third world country might be totally unacceptable in Australia.

We do not need a multi-culturist society for many diverse cultures to benefit from each other. Diversity in cuisine, art, travel preferences, employment and entertainment are already prominent features of Australian social life, many thanks to immigrants.

I have no problem with refugee intakes, immigration or ethnic diversity. There is plenty of evidence of harmony and value. Where it does seem to be contentious, is where the expectation is established and supported, that cultural values clearly unacceptable to many Australians are not only imported but sold to us on the basis that we are wrong to reject them.

This rejection causes isolation and disenfranchises many immigrant communities. Those at fault then, are those who advocate and support these unsustainable expectations. The evidence of this is in the fact that advocacy focuses on changing everyone, except immigrants.
Posted by spindoc, Saturday, 22 May 2010 11:25:18 AM
spindoc: << Diversity in cuisine, art, travel preferences, employment and entertainment are already prominent features of Australian social life, many thanks to immigrants. >>

Of course, all of those domains are features of culture, rather than ethnicity. Ethnicity is about descent, while culture is about distinctive practices (including ideologies) that are shared by groups of people who more often than not share a common ethnicity.

Multiculturalism is still very much part of Australian society and public policy, but the term itself has been downplayed by governments since Howard's embrace of Hansonism. In my district we are currently celebrating "Italian Week", which uncoincidentally focuses on virtually all those aspects of culture that spindoc nominates. Ethnicity is barely relevant to the celebration.

spindoc also doesn't seem to know what "schizophrenia" means. Perhaps he should look it up somewhere, along with "culture" and "ethnicity".
Posted by CJ Morgan, Saturday, 22 May 2010 12:29:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy