The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It’s time the green message was aimed squarely at the heart > Comments

It’s time the green message was aimed squarely at the heart : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 19/5/2010

The greenies need to get their message into young minds.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Dear Brian, there are so many “truths” in your article and they do need to be examined in more detail.

Like many on OLO, I am also concerned that we humans are damaging our environment and even causing regional climate change.

You suggest greenies suffer from communication failure as a result of constant exaggeration. You, of course are not guilty of this I presume? Except by association as a greenie for 40 years?

The problem is that what you might see as mere exaggeration; others might see as lies.

You suggest that greenies “need to get their message into young minds” To which I would reply, you need to do this because adult minds are no longer swallowing your lies? I seem to remember a similar approach with the Hitler Youth.

Further, I have grand children that have been given the terrors by the greenies already. If you can’t hack it with adults, leave the kids to enjoy their innocence and stop scaring them with the ecological “bogy man”. I would genuinely like to take a baseball bat to those who infect the minds of innocent children with ideological “education”. Don’t you think Al Gore has done enough damage?

Child Alienation is a domestic violence crime in our Family Court system and whilst taking you to court for your proposals might be more attractive, our current laws leave us only with forums such as this to rebuke you for your malevolence.

Unfortunately for the “great greenie causes”, the international protest industry is, at every level, miserably inept, emotionally dysfunctional, ill informed, politically manipulated and increasingly ineffective, except for the immense damage it inflicts upon perfectly valid public environmental concerns.

Please leave my children and grand children in the capable hands of their parents.

Butt out.
Posted by spindoc, Wednesday, 19 May 2010 9:46:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Brian,

Thanks for you clear, simple voice. Yes, I've been focussing more and more on the relentless degradation all around us. It's not just disappearing exotic species. It's disappearing space in town, more alienating big-box buildings all the time, ever more traffic, disappearing family farms, less personal service, on and on, all the things we can no longer afford ... now that we're rich.

Your post makes a good pair with this one, about the four possible futures we face:
http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2010051914/climate-change-four-futures
Posted by Geoff Davies, Wednesday, 19 May 2010 10:07:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, lovely article Brian. I agree that we greenies are too often characterised by the hyperbolic doom and gloom scenarios deployed by some of the more radical activists. Fostering among young people an appreciation of the environment that we as a species are busily destroying is critical - mind you, I think that David Attenborough is just as good as Disney at this, and much more informative.

Classic rant from spindoc - he complains about "exaggeration" by greenies, then goes on to wax hyperbolically about "baseball bats" and "Child Alienation". Who's "exaggerating" here?
Posted by CJ Morgan, Wednesday, 19 May 2010 10:28:37 AM
So, Brian wants to brainwash children, on the basis of sentimental pap from the 1930s and 1940s. Goebbels had a similar idea around that time. Of course, his mate Adolf was a greenie, so there's another connection.

Failing that, no doubt greenies would love to set up cadres to go around beating up people with whom they disagree. They could call them the Green Guard.

Fat Al is "charismatic"? Parasitic, more accurately.

Brian, you say you have observed that "the degradation of the natural environment is relentless". Nice generalisation. Can you give us a few facts to support that, given that we have cleaner air, cleaner water, longer life expectancy, etc., etc., and that in the good old pre-degradation days, average life expectancy for an adult male in the US and Australia was about 30 years?
Posted by KenH, Wednesday, 19 May 2010 11:38:00 AM
Do kids really want to see endless Bambi-style films and will it change them from being money-grubbing suburbanites (like their parents) into modern-day druids? Doubt it. Social engineering is always difficult, in fact its impossible. Communing with nature will always be an elitist preoccupation, the rest of us will watch TV. In fact, while I think of it, films tend to echo popular political conceptions rather than shape them. I must catch up with the film Robin Hood but as I understand it, like Gladiator, it raves on about freedom when all the peasants are doing is swapping one set of lords for another, just as greedy..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Wednesday, 19 May 2010 12:26:44 PM
Thanks, Brian and Geoff. 'Climate Change - Four Futures" by Sara Robinson - thanks for the reference, Geoff -
http://www.ourfuture.org/blog-entry/2010051914/climate-change-four-futures
is a brilliant article that I suggest be repeated on On Line Opinion.

Tony Kevin
Posted by tonykevin 1, Wednesday, 19 May 2010 12:32:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy