The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Battle of the billboards > Comments

Battle of the billboards : Comments

By Wendy Francis, published 10/5/2010

Should outdoor advertising be G-rated?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12
  13. All
It’s a shame that the opinions of first-time posters are not considered by some to be as valid as those of regular online opinionists. Perhaps many of us are so busy just working (offline) and raising our families we don’t have time to sit and share our many opinions with the world at large UNTIL there’s an issue we find important enough (in our opinion) to warrant a special effort (simply because we would like it known there are people who hold to such opinions). Since our society seems to be run according to the most vociferous opinions, rather than any stable absolute values of worth, I’d like to announce it is my opinion that all billboards should definitely be G rated, for the reasons Wendy mentions so coherently, and that it is a great pity that this self-evident principle does not seem to be clear without a barrage of complaints and a co-ordinated campaign to force the standard.
Posted by R Kiely, Monday, 10 May 2010 10:57:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There's little point in criticizing a couple of adverts you don't like whilst leaving untouched the plague of other parasitic adverts cluttering our computers, TV's newspapers and outdoor environment.

Look for once at the adverts cluttering this page. You didn't ask for them, you probably won't read them, you're not likely to respond to them even if you do read them, but you pay for them anyway. You pay for an Internet connection account, then clog up something like half of the bandwidth you've paid for transporting to your screen adverts you don't want! As if that's not enough, you also pay indirectly for advertising whenever you buy something from a company that advertises in an intrusive way.

There is a place for advertising, useful-to-the-consumer type advertising, often known as classified advertising. Usually, people reading classified adverts do so because they want to and choose to.

We could blame our governments (all of them) for allowing greed and free market forces to pollute our environment with intrusive advertising. But governments have demonstrated often enough that they they will shirk regulating business for the benefit of everyone, so blaming the government is unlikely to achieve much.

I could also ask you to join me in boycotting all companies that advertise in intrusive ways. But I know more Australians are less interested in such matters than they are in their beer and football, so I'm doubtful of success with this either.
Posted by Forkes, Monday, 10 May 2010 11:20:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As a mother who is working at home taking care of my children, I am insulted by these sex filled billboards containing either image or wording. A 7 year old can read and I do not feel it is fair for a parent to have to explain to their children what it is all about.

For young 12 -15 boys being exposed to this material on their way to school, it is an insult. Why must we bombard these young boys' curiosity, to unleash their sexual appetite before they are mature enough to deal with this. A boy with raging testosterone going through puberty does not need this rammed in his face as he enters or leaves the school. As a society we are responsible for keeping the public arena clean. We don't know how our children will be affected by this material, what spark of curiosity that may lead to a future problem.

The greed of the mighty dollar is dictating what goes up on our public billboards, not a sense of morality.

As to the companies who would not host Wendy's billboard, they need to be named and shamed.

It is about time we had people like Wendy in our Senate making decisions on behalf of Australian families not the deadwood who are are sitting in protected seats who are not allowed to be challenged at preselected in both the Labor and Libernal National parties. Lets face it women like Wendy Francis would be pre-selected into a winnable seats in one of these parties if only they would stop protecting the incumbant, even though so many of them have done nothing to protect our children.

If they were so great why are we facing the oversexualization of our girls? Time for a change in the federal senate. Go for it Wendy you are the first one in years to have actually have a platform to get elected into parliament instead of being a party hack who just gets there by default.
Posted by Liz Unch, Monday, 10 May 2010 11:22:27 PM
R Kiely,
The source of the original disparaging comment on first-time posters rejects the possibility of "stable absolute values of worth".
To him there are no self-evident principles, only relativism.
He is limited to criticising from the sidelines without having anything constructive to offer himself.
Needless to say, he was never a first-time poster himself.
Posted by Proxy, Monday, 10 May 2010 11:33:02 PM
Why does the article pick specifically on sex, of all evils?

All advertising is offensive, and in the case of doing it outdoors, it constitutes an involuntary attack on passers-by (including minors) who gave no consent to be exposed to such images, in an attempt to tempt them (including young minds) into purchasing mostly junk and in-any-case, items which they would not have considered buying otherwise. Besides that, outdoor advertising distracts drivers and increases anxiety levels.

Removing a sexual ad. would only make space for another, probably not less harmful advertisement. It is imperative that ALL outdoor advertising be banned, leaving people with untempered and peaceful views of trees and clear skies.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 11 May 2010 12:26:59 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. That is a great article. I am so tired of driving past these disgusting billboards and having no say as to what my children are looking at. At home I can turn off the television; driving in my car they have no alternative but to look at these images unless I drive out of my way to find an alternative route, which is not always possible.

We are living in a sick and twisted world where "that which is wrong is called right and that which is right is called wrong".

Thank you for taking a stand on behalf of our children.
Posted by Mum of 4, Tuesday, 11 May 2010 8:10:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. ...
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. 12