The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Battle of the billboards > Comments

Battle of the billboards : Comments

By Wendy Francis, published 10/5/2010

Should outdoor advertising be G-rated?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
I AGREE!! What a shocking thing to put outside of a Boy's School. Just another example of profit and advertising going before keeping our children safe. What sort of society is THAT!?
Posted by Be A Fun Mum, Monday, 10 May 2010 9:19:57 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The fact of the matter is that showing these things in public reflects an image of "who gives a crap" about the dignity of women and respect for women, which behind closed doors may be a rule which is bendeda little with consent and freedom to do so, but blatantly preying on human sexuality and disrespecting a common code of decency spoils it for everyone and leaves nothing to the imagination. If people get used to this then they will just want more, and more and more.

I was happy with the sexual liberation where women could show a little knee, marilyn monroe had just enough to still be sexy, but so many of today's kids are just after boobs and ass and are forgetting the root of appreciation of "naughty things" that nobody admits to in public. The fact that nobody shows it in public is part of the reason that its a decent thing that remains decent.

Apart from this idea that I'm sure many prudes won't admit to, it reflects our culture. It's not just about protecting kids, its about trying to maintain the illusion that the people who can afford to mould the public space, the successful and the entreprenears and even the government, maintain an ideal that having taste is a good thing, rather than folding to the lowest common denomenator of Australian scum.

If we represented ourselves based on our lowest common denominators as a nation, this would be normal. Is we represented ourselves as our lowest common denomenators as individuals, we would walk around naked and drunk and swearing and racist, something which everyone does sometimes out of human nature but you can't just represent that as the norm.

As someone who was born to a mother of 42 years I have learned to appreciate what "The good old days" were and am lucky to have been mothered by a real woman rather than some of the trash getting around these days, I would like to see the ideal maintained rather than sunk lower and lower like this, as somebody who condones sexuality.
Posted by rjenman, Monday, 10 May 2010 9:29:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wendy - I completely agree and I'm absolutely horrified that such a billboard exsists near a school. Clean up public space! G rated billboards is a fabulous idea.
Posted by Flutterbon, Monday, 10 May 2010 9:57:43 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
great article - and about time advertisers started thinking about their impact on all people that see they advertising rather than how much money they can make.
Posted by bast, Monday, 10 May 2010 10:25:34 AM
It never ceases to amaze me what the advertising and marketing industries will do for money. I am shocked but not surprised that there is such a smutty billboard near the boys' school. As parents of young children, we shouldn't have to be constantly on-guard whilst driving 'in case' there is an offensive billboard. I know billboards are 'public space', but driving in my car is private - and I don't want the eye pollution or subliminal messages entering my private space, or that of my children. This is a fantastic campaign and one that is needed to maintain the ethical and family-oriented standards that seem to be slipping so readily away from our society.
Posted by DebM, Monday, 10 May 2010 10:30:19 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I totally agree with Wendy. Her article surely represents the overwhelming majority of ordinary Australians who are rapidly becoming highly disenchanted with our increasing disenfranchisement in this area. The ASB is a joke - as are most self-regulatory bodies - talk about a conflict of interest! May I just say that you don't have to be a wowser or a prude to have decent morals and want our children's rights to be protected from so-called adult entertainment themes. I am absolutely disgusted with the billboard advertisers and with the ASB for supporting the placement of such a billboard outside a boys' school.

You have my support, Wendy.
Posted by Toots Logan, Monday, 10 May 2010 10:36:15 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy