The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Going Gaga over raunch dressed up as liberation > Comments

Going Gaga over raunch dressed up as liberation : Comments

By Melinda Tankard Reist, published 19/3/2010

Lady Gaga isn't pushing boundaries. She's a conformist contributing to a distorted, one-dimensional cultural script.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All
And I thought I hated this song already.

I haven't seen the clip yet, but have heard from numerous people how "great" / "full on" it is...

I hope Mia Freedman gets a copy of this article...
Posted by Alyssa KT, Friday, 19 March 2010 10:37:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Over educated cultural studies twaddle from someone who is a forerunner of the anti-abortion lobby. Get real. It's a video clip. She's trying to sell music. Since when did rock & roll give a fat rats about sexual conformity? Since when did The Australian start publishing morality pieces? Geez, they'll be inundated.
Posted by Cheryl, Friday, 19 March 2010 10:43:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'But the clip endorses and entrenches some of the worst stereotypes about women and sexuality. '

Worst according to you. Plenty of other young people are embracing this view of women and sexuality, because they like it. It's their culture, they own it.

I always wonder what a world would look like if stereotypes were banned. A stereotype isn't offensive, it's a shorthand way of telling a story.

If the world did look like the prude-amada fantasy of your ideals, that would be the stereotype. 'radical' people would be upset at the stereotype religious chaste good girls.

But, I'm afraid you'll just have to keep putting up with the real world.

'more about profit than art'
No sh1t sherlock. What was it I was saying about the real world?
Posted by Houellebecq, Friday, 19 March 2010 12:04:06 PM
MTR is correct in so far as Lady G is not original - give me Grace Jones ANY day.

However, if she really wanted to whinge about conformist and sexist music videos, what is wrong with heavy metal? For Christ's sake? At least pick valid targets - heavy metal has been around for yonks and will (I am sure) continue to enrapture teenage boys into the future, whereas Lady GaGa, by this time next year, will be Lady GoneGone.

Awful pun, I know - but I don't care.
Posted by Severin, Friday, 19 March 2010 1:10:35 PM
Headline, headline, read all about it.

"Old fogey says yoof music corrupts"

"Old fogey says yoof music is rubbish"

"Old fogey says yoof doesn't know what's good for it"

Do you think maybe MTR is being humorous? And this really is a send-up of everything an old fogey might drag out of the kitbag when discussing today's yoof?

I don't think she missed one single stereotype or cliché

Masterful.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 19 March 2010 1:28:51 PM
Pericles

:D
Posted by Severin, Friday, 19 March 2010 1:46:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy