The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Facebook’s new slut page: a monument to girl hatred > Comments

Facebook’s new slut page: a monument to girl hatred : Comments

By Melinda Tankard Reist, published 11/3/2010

Since when did it become OK to hate women and girls so publicly and to judge them so mercilessly?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. 17
  11. All
Actually King Hazza, we don't need to toughen up, people need to be more respectful of others. People like you and the misogynists on that facebook page need to get some humanity into your lives.

There is no personal gain from hating and abusing others, in fact if that level vitriol and abuse was directed at some of the posters on that facebook page they would probably be highly offended and react with violence. Violent abusive people who behave like that have no value in this society. Their behaviour reduces us all to the level of scum. No society can gain or improve the lives of those living in it when it hates women, which incidentally is half the population.
Posted by bast, Thursday, 11 March 2010 10:06:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The King Hazzas of the world are as responsible as the alleged people who make the posts. He, by his attitude, is condoning this rubbish.
King needs to realise that it is cowards who hide behind aliases so they can't be made accountable for the damage they cause, and I suspect from the tone of his post that he is the type of bully who would cheerfully engage in this gutless slander.
Posted by ianbrum, Thursday, 11 March 2010 10:52:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is it just me, or is this article spread over more pages than necessary to fit in more ads? Does OLO let the advertisers pick which article to advertise on?

Whatever. Sometimes the Internet just sucks, and that silly book of faces (yes, I said 'faces') sucks all the time. But hey, they would say, 'Facebook doesn't kill people; people do'. Yeah, right.
Posted by Shadyoasis, Thursday, 11 March 2010 10:54:04 AM
Melinda is trying to make this a feminist issue.

The reality is that probably most of the posters are girls taking a stab at an aquaintance, and this is a bullying issue. This is the same as someone writing rude grafitti anonymously, it is just that facebook is a much bigger wall.

Should we knock down the wall, or punish those responsible?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 11 March 2010 11:11:14 AM
"it is up to people to be informed or conscious enough to take statements made on the internet with a grain of salt-"

Great point, King Hazza! And while we're at it, let's just do away with all libel and slander laws. Defamation is a farce and all we really need to do is get society to "toughen up."

Of course, if seeing false accusations online leads to people not being hired for jobs, being bullied and sexually harrassed, depression and other problems due to the genuine consequences that befall a person from being on slandered in that way, who cares? Everyone should just grow a backbone.

You've just inspired me to create a new facebook page. I'm going to post pictures of all my past lovers and publicise the fact that they have small penises and are paedophiles and rapists. Hopefully others will join in and then this page will get over 1,000,000 hits too.

Cos what I publish and what others think about these people, true or false, really doesn't matter does it.
Posted by Bonnie J, Thursday, 11 March 2010 11:20:36 AM
While I agree this page raises some concerns, I'm actually more concerned about the extreme prejudice being shown towards sluts by the author and many commenters.

Would you all really think less of a woman, even refusing to hire her, because she'd been branded a slut on a stupid Facebook page?
Posted by Orange Donkey, Thursday, 11 March 2010 11:42:43 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. 17
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy