The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The blow-ins from the 'burbs > Comments

The blow-ins from the 'burbs : Comments

By Anna Daniel, published 22/2/2010

For a variety of reasons our inner city CBDs are increasingly perceived as late night danger zones.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
In Brisbane a beautiful old dance hall in a scenic position was knocked down with the full support of government and contrary to public opinion. Not only was Cloudland a readily identifiable part of Brisbane's heritage, it had been the economical night time destination for generations. There were no problems there either.

Of course the popular Cloudland was never re-built and now everyone is forced to go to crowded, seedy nightclubs with bikies on the door and drugs with names starting with every letter of the alphabet available inside. Despite the Royal Commission, numerous inquiries (the recommendations of which are quietly put to sleep), Brisbane still has criminals controlling clubs and doubtless politicians and enforcement are back to turning a blind eye, or worse.

I have no doubt that government only pretends to listen to voters, while saving its full attention and priority for developers and entrepreneurs who are willing to wine and dine politicians and make large political donations.
Posted by Cornflower, Monday, 22 February 2010 9:49:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting article with some good suggestions. But given howe the violence problem has been growing I don't think the gov will act any time soon.
Posted by jjplug, Monday, 22 February 2010 10:07:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Maybe the blow-ins just want a good night out bashing the snobs who think they own the city?
Posted by Houellebecq, Monday, 22 February 2010 10:13:38 AM
Which sums up the mentality and the problem nicely.

If you make a neutral statement iut seems like an ednorsement.
Posted by jjplug, Monday, 22 February 2010 10:21:42 AM
Houellebecq,any constructive suggestions for how to minimise late night violence?
Posted by Anna Daniel, Monday, 22 February 2010 12:48:55 PM
ah Cornflower, you said the magic words there, 'Cloudland Ballroom'. It was a majestic place and full of good memories. Remember the springloaded dance floor?

Where was I? Oh yes, Hoons and thugs from Dandenong and Frankston, who, in the main, like to drive fast and live dangerously.

The problem with this article, like so many from the social sciences, is that it's based on assumptions or 'I reckon'.

I'm all for having cigars rooms in the suburbs but I've got to tell you, this ain't what's on the mind of most 17 year old boys and girls.

Lets cut to the chase. If you think we've got a problem, try East LA. Even the cops don't go there. We are fed namby pamby articles like this and then told it's a problem. It's a symptom of people kicking out the jambs. What they should do is pay a visit to QUT and ask them why sociology is now part of the creative industries.
Posted by Cheryl, Monday, 22 February 2010 5:16:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy