The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Euthenasia

Euthenasia

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Toni Lavis,

<<That's not a libertarian world view, that is classic liberal philosophy. The philosophy of such notaries as Locke, Mill, Jefferson and Menzies. >>

Both of us are correct.

Take a read of the beginning of this article::

<<The LDP states that it adheres to classical liberal, small government and laissez-faire principles coupled with what the party considers as a high regard for individual freedom and individual responsibility. The party's policies are influenced by those of the Libertarian Party (United States).>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Democratic_Party_(Australia)

The ideology of the Liberal Democrats is:
* Classical liberalism
* Libertarianism
* Fiscal conservatism

What is its international affiliation? It is with the “International Alliance of Libertarian Parties”.

Of me, you state: <<There may well be good arguments against euthanasia, but I think you're rather missing the point. The point is whether or not the Territories should be free to make their own laws in the same way that the States can.>>

The title of this thread is ‘Euthanasia’; it is NOT, ‘The Territories vs States with euthanasia laws’.

There are reasons why Australia has this administrative situation of Territories not having the same powers as the States:

(1) That’s how the Australian Constitution of 1901, section 107, declared the difference. Why?

(2) Circumstances at the time of 1901 and the formation of the Constitution.

An ABC News, Brisbane Qld, investigation (28 Feb 2018) reported that the NT was originally part of SA but "by the time it got to 1911, the SA government was in debt because of the NT to the tune of something like £4 million, so they were very keen to get rid of it," Mr Parish said.

Ken Parish is a former NT Labor politician and senior law lecturer at Charles Darwin University.

SA surrendered the Territory to the Commonwealth.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-27/why-isnt-the-northern-territory-a-state-curious-darwin/9457776

The statehood vs territory issues have been keenly debated. The NT referendum for statehood in 1998 was supported by the NT Country Liberal Party and its federal equivalent, but was opposed by the Labor Party. The result was a narrow defeat, 51.9% - 48.1%.

(3) Population distribution.
Posted by OzSpen, Monday, 9 July 2018 9:14:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The authoritarian state should keep is snout out of this area and allow people to make up their own minds. It is a personal matter, not something to be decided by tin pot dictators of the kind infesting Australian politics. They can't even manage a good job of preventing people from killing other people. They have no business dictating what people will do with their own lives.
Posted by ttbn, Monday, 9 July 2018 10:11:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ttbn,

Describing Australia as 'the authoritarian state' with 'tin pot dictators', are you comparing Australian leadership with that by Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Idi Amin, Gorbachev, and Kim Jon-un?

<<They can't even manage a good job of preventing people from killing other people>>

Do you really want govt. learning how to manage sinful people who do wicked sinful actions? What should the govt do to stop murder?

<<They [govt folks] have no business dictating what people will do with their own lives.>>

Do you think this personal philosophy of yours should be applied across the board for all people?
Posted by OzSpen, Monday, 9 July 2018 11:57:47 AM
OzSpen,

"I'm in favour of it, we are told from childhood that we are responsible for our own lives and killing one's self is part of that responsibility"

The Operative verb above is "told" not "taught".
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 9 July 2018 2:17:05 PM
One thing I can say for sure, I want no Church, no God, [who I do not believe ever existed], [put all Gods there] to tell me at any time what I can or can not do
Posted by Belly, Monday, 9 July 2018 4:32:12 PM
//Both of us are correct.//

It would appear so.

But to try and insinuate that liberalism is bunk because D1ckhead Dave and Mad Mark are in favour is an ad hominem fallacy. It's like saying that vegetarianism is wrong because Hitler was vegetarian.

It also has elements of a strawman fallacy. D1ckhead Dave and Mad Mark are such low-hanging fruit they're practically subterranean. If you want to have a crack at liberalism, you'll have to do a bit better than pointing to a pair of well known crackpots and declaring 'Look, those pair are both clowns and they favour liberalism. I rest my case.'

//The title of this thread is ‘Euthanasia’; it is NOT, ‘The Territories vs States with euthanasia laws’.//

I think technically yo'll find that the title of this thread is 'Euthenasia', which according to my abridged Oxford is not actually a word.

But if you have a look at the Bill Josephus linked to in the original post, I'll think you'll find that its title is the 'Restoring Territory Rights (Assisted Suicide Legislation) Bill 2015'.

And you want to tell me this matter has nothing do with Territories right to self-governance? Sure, buddy. And I'm a turnip. [sarcasm]
Posted by Toni Lavis, Monday, 9 July 2018 5:17:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy