The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Euthenasia

Euthenasia

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

On Wednesday last week, a disturbing motion from Liberal Democrat Senator David Leyonhjelm passed the Senate. http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation/Bills_Search_Results/Result?bId=s1030

As a result, his new bill will be debated in the Senate between August 14 and 16. The Restoring Territory (Assisted Suicide Legislation) Bill would allow the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory to create euthanasia and assisted suicide laws. Should it pass the Senate, Greens MP Adam Bandt has promised to sponsor the Bill in the House of Representatives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwZSIY8Ozi4
Posted by Josephus, Saturday, 7 July 2018 12:35:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//The Restoring Territory (Assisted Suicide Legislation) Bill would allow the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory to create euthanasia and assisted suicide laws.//

I don't see a problem with that; it's not fair if the States can make their own euthanasia laws but the Territories can't.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Saturday, 7 July 2018 2:57:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This man at least in part, owes his election to miss use of another party's name, he mines for redneck voters with just filthy comments, he on his own, justifies my view the upper house is a rats nest, yet I support this bill, let my body die before my brain does, before I become another victim of the prisons we call aged care
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 7 July 2018 5:17:36 PM
Dear Josephus,

Euthanasia is such an emotive issue.

I am so glad that I've never been asked to make a
decision on this matter. I hope that I will never
have to either. It would be a very difficult
thing for most people to do. The only time that I
may seriously contemplate thinking about doing
anything would be in the case of a terminally ill
person who was in tremendous pain and keeping them
alive would achieve nothing but prolong their suffering.

But who knows - I may change my mind as I get older.
Posted by Foxy, Saturday, 7 July 2018 5:27:56 PM
Josephus,

Yes, it is a disturbing motion. However, this comes out of Liberal Democrat Senator David Leyonhjelm's libertarian world view: "People should be free to make their own choices and accept responsibility for the consequences, so long as nobody else is harmed".

By the way, former Labor opposition leader, Mark Latham, now has joined the Liberal Democrats.

We've been down this road several times before. For example, in 2008 with the Bill sponsored by Greens' leader, Senator Bob Brown <https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/C2008B00219>

There were 1871 submissions. See: <https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Legal_and_Constitutional_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2008-10/terminally_ill/submissions/sublist>

Fortunately, the Bill was defeated. Australia has 3 territories: NT, ACT, and Norfolk Island.

There are good reasons to reject voluntary, active euthanasia through the repeal of the Territories' legislation.

In my understanding, the case for euthanasia is based on the following:

* Intentionally killing or assisting in the killing of innocent human beings.

* Repudiation of the doctor-patient relationship that is meant to promote life.

* It flies in the face of the medical advances made in the treatment of pain and is at odds with compassionate methods of care.

* It does not fully consider the historical examples that show euthanasia cannot be legislatively controlled (e.g. Holland).

* It rests on presuppositions that do not respect human life.

* It plays God.

* Human beings are not animals, but unique beings made in the image of God.

* Ethically, it rests on self-defeating assertions.

* It is not in the patient's or society's best interests.

* It eliminates the sufferer rather than treating the suffering.

* Opinion polls are an unreliable indicator of support for euthanasia.

For an exposition of these points, see my submission to the 2008 Bill, number 386, at: <http://www.aph.gov.au/~/media/wopapub/senate/committee/legcon_ctte/completed_inquiries/2008_10/terminally_ill/submissions/sub386_pdf.ashx>

Therefore, I urge the Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia not to support repealing this legislation and extending the scope for endorsing euthanasia.
Posted by OzSpen, Sunday, 8 July 2018 7:57:05 AM
Quite frankly my view will be confronting for most, but it remains my conviction,if my brain went finance becomes a player in my view about the subject, see I alone in my large family own a home, and my intention to pass it on,is firm, not to have it sold to fund a term I would not even be aware of, in a Prison we shamefully call old age care centers becomes the driver
Posted by Belly, Sunday, 8 July 2018 8:04:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy