The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Ireland votes to legalize same-sex marriage

Ireland votes to legalize same-sex marriage

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All
I can't believe what I have just read.
Ireland has voted to allow same-sex marriage by a vast majority!

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2015/05/23/ireland-same-sex-marriage-referendum-passes/

Having been to Ireland several times, I am stunned that their previously strict Catholic population have agreed that same-sex marriage should be legal.
Apparently, they believe it to be more a human rights issue than an issue that should be controlled by the Catholic hierarchy.

Good on them.

My Irish husband believes there has been a huge backlash against the Catholic Church, and religion in general, in his original country because of all the clergy and their elders who have perpetrated and covered up paedophile activity in Ireland.
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 24 May 2015 1:39:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not only Michael Fitz Patrick and Patrick Fitz Michael agree with the vote but along with Maurice Fitz Gerald and Gerald Fitz Maurice so do the majority of voters.

What a boost for the tourist industry, off to the Emerald Isle for a legal, if not always gay, marriage.
Countries which do not recognize same sex marriage but do recognize Irish state sanctioned marriages will, presumably, have to pass special legislation if they do not wish to accept all Irish marriages.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 24 May 2015 3:03:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is Mise, it won't be a problem for too much longer because if a conservative place like Ireland can legalise gay marriage, then it is only a matter of time before many other countries follow suit, including Australia.

And not before time.
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 24 May 2015 6:33:19 PM
Dear Suse,

Hear! Hear!

A conscience vote in Parliament and
a Referendum for the public is the way to go.
Posted by Foxy, Sunday, 24 May 2015 7:12:32 PM
Foxy,

"A conscience vote in Parliament and
a Referendum for the public is the way to go."

Agree; but you won't see a plebiscite; or many of those in favour of same sex 'marriage' agreeing with you.
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 24 May 2015 7:20:41 PM
Is Mise, I fear you may be disappointed with the results of a referendum in Australia on this issue, as I believe we will vote the same as Ireland.

Most intelligent people know that legalising gay marriage won't affect many people's lives at all, but it will strengthen the human rights of the gay people who live in Australia.

I look forward to the referendum, and hope it is the start of a more rational society.
Posted by Suseonline, Sunday, 24 May 2015 7:38:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
  8. 11
  9. 12
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy