The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Lowering tolerance margins on speeding offences nets Queensland police an extra $8m

Lowering tolerance margins on speeding offences nets Queensland police an extra $8m

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
This is UTTERLY DISGUSTING!

Yes the law should be the law. There should ultimately be NO leeway on speed limits.

But in order to achieve any reduction in the leeway, a major publicity campaign is absolutely NEEDED BEFORE police introduce it, so that the whole community is aware of it.

Otherwise, thousands of INNOCENT people, who are driving at a few ks over the speed limit, which they have been allowed to do for years... with the consent of the police, will suddenly get a bloody big fine, a loss of demerit points and rightly a very bad impression of our law enforcers!

It was surely mandatory that the whole Queensland community be told when something like this was going to happen…..BEFORE it happened, in such a manner that practically everyone got the message.

It is just completely DISGUSTING that the police won’t tell us what the leeway is, and hence what the real speed limit is. Why do they hide this bit of vital information from us??

When we are travelling on the highway, or on practically any road, we are sitting on or mostly a bit over the speed limit. The cruising speed IS the speed limit, or a bit over!! It’s the speed practically everyone does! So we need to know exactly what the leeway is that the police are allowing!!

And for goodness sake, if this is going to change, we need to know in no uncertain manner … BEFORE we start getting book for it!!

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/lowering-tolerance-margins-on-speeding-offences-nets-queensland-police-8m-in-extra-revenue/story-fnihsr9v-1226746339957
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 26 October 2013 11:27:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
In complete agreement except that the speed limit ought to be higher, and if the various Governments arefair dinkum then there need to be many more patrol cars on the road but if the Governments did that then the roads would be safer but revenue would drop and, lets face it, speed limits are about money not safety.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 26 October 2013 3:05:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yep our speed limits are ridiculous. They should be set at the median speed of the traffic in any area.

The stupidity of tight tolerances makes people concentrate on the instruments, rather than the road. This is quite dangerous. The engines in my old Triumph sports cars are loud enough for me to get a pretty good idea of my speed by ear, but the Toyotas Cressidas we drove as family cars for years almost completely insulated the driver from the outside world.

Unless you concentrated closely on the speedo it was very easy to find yourself doing 120Km/h. On a long boring country run, it only took a slight down hill to be in booking territory. I had to fit one of those speed warning buzzer things to avoid bookings, & allow me to concentrate on the road, as I should.

Another advantage of my older cars is their speedo set up. Manufacturers fitted very optimistic speedos in earlier times. Every one I have owned has been reading 109 to 110 Km/H, when the car was traveling at 100. You know this fact, & you could drive on the rev counter, knowing 3000RPM was 100.5 Km/H road speed, but you don't.

When you see 110 on the speedo, your foot comes off the accelerator a little, with out any cerebral input, it's a conditioned response in our over regulated world. That response helps keep your licence points free.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 26 October 2013 4:30:02 PM
I have no doubt speed kills but too that our police, in every state, are collectors of cash for the government.
We once got the few extra because police said/thought it was easy to just be a little over without intending to be.
Nothing has changed that remains true.
Posted by Belly, Saturday, 26 October 2013 6:22:36 PM
I guess I have always thought that if a speed limit is 60km per hour, then I can only drive up to 60km on that area of road.
Maybe that is only true here in WA?

One won't get a speeding fine if one remains under or at the speed limit.
it's not rocket science really...
Posted by Suseonline, Saturday, 26 October 2013 6:50:38 PM
I guess I have always thought that if a speed limit is 60km per hour, then I can only drive up to 60km on that area of road.
Suseonline,
Now that you're right you say you're guessing ? I agree with you on the speed you can legally or rather without fear of a fine drive. I also agree with hasbeen re being isolated from the sound of the engine. I recently hired a little Hyundai Getz & because it just a tiny little car I didn't think of actually being capable of speeding. Imagine my surprise when I glanced at the speedo on the open road & the needle was 125. I was on a country road with Kangaroo & Cattle warning signs every 50 metres & they took away all my concentration on the speed. It really is just too easy with these little cars to get into serious trouble both with the Law & actual handling.
Posted by individual, Saturday, 26 October 2013 7:11:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy