The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Lowering tolerance margins on speeding offences nets Queensland police an extra $8m

Lowering tolerance margins on speeding offences nets Queensland police an extra $8m

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
If anyone wants to see 'road safety' in action in NSW then take a trip on the Gwydir Highway from Glen Innes to Grafton, the road abounds in bends and a number of them have a broken single line down the centre on blind corners and on either side of car concealing dips.
There are apparently legal passing places where only an utter fool would attempt such a manoeuvre if he/she knows the road but where those that don't could be led into real danger.

There is a trap for the unwary on the New England Highway south of Glen Innes at Stonehenge; a long straight with broken centre line that appears to be a very safe place to overtake, until a car rises out of concealment in the hidden dip.

Makes one appreciate good brakes!
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 28 October 2013 3:59:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Individual,

"Whenever I have advocated speed governors on vehicles some mutts jump up & down against the idea. They want safety but they also want speed, go figure."

If you ever hear the blaring of air horns behind you on a steep down hill and see a runaway truck bearing down on you, believe me you won't want any speed limiting device. If the road is narrow and there is nowhere to pull off, speed and acceleration are the only things that will save you.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 28 October 2013 4:12:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Is Mise,
what's the truckie going to do, run over you ? If his brakes are failing then he'll definitely make it clear to you. But, if his brakes are good he'll slow down.
Posted by individual, Monday, 28 October 2013 7:00:41 PM
Individual,

His horns are blaring and, as I said, he is bearing down on you.

The first thing that would enter my head was that his brakes had failed and to avoid the inevitable collision the only thing to do is to get the hell out of his way and on a narrow road the only way is to make all possible haste unimpeded by any speed governing devices.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 28 October 2013 8:38:14 PM
Is Mise,
Ah I see, so if you were heading uphill towards him on a single lane road & his brakes were failing then a faster car would get you out ? Are you that good driving backwards ?
It's like trying to be 101% safe, it can't be. That's why there is a word in every language called accident. We can only generalise when it comes to driving, flying, floating whatever. There will always be a situation that is unforseen. Slowing down is simply a precaution with less risk. Most fast drivers don't actually arrive that much sooner with the exception that they probably pi$$ed off a lot of other drivers on the way.
Posted by individual, Monday, 28 October 2013 8:50:42 PM
Well I did mean that we were both going down hill and in the same direction!
However if I was going uphill and he was coming down and was using all the road then with my not speed limited car I'd apply right lock, all the power that I could muster and do a 180 degree spin then accelerate as fast as possible, hopefully out of harms way.

I held a CAMS licence for some years.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 28 October 2013 9:22:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy