The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Baby gloomers

Baby gloomers

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
<< Sorry Ludwig at that age you are not a baby boomer. >>

Interesting point Belly.

I hadn’t considered myself to be a baby boomer until quite recently. I always thought that being born in 1959 would make me well and truly too young to be part of the post-war baby boom.

Then I saw a definition – can’t remember where – that said baby boomers were borne from the end of the war in 1945 to the end of the 50s.

But Wikipedia suggests that the age bracket is 46 to 64, that is; borne from 1946 to 1964. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomer#Definition

Either way, the definition used in the article from which I drew this thread (see link in the opening post) seems wildly off-track – being those aged 45 to 54, which means it would have started ten years after the war ended!
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 11 September 2010 8:23:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't know why you whipper snipers don't grow up, & have fun, like us old farts.

I was 7 when tasted my first ice cream, 8 when I saw my first firecracker, & 10 when I got my first air rifle. That puts me at least 2 up on the kids of today, who aren't allowed firecrackers, or air rifles.

Why did you boomers not just make the place gloomy, but wimpy as well.

If only John Howard had been able to take us back to the 50s. I don't believe any of you, or the kids have had it half as good as I had it, & still have it, as I can at least remember the fun.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 11 September 2010 8:52:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Borne? BORNE? Did I really write that….... twice??

'Born', that should have been.

Rrrrrgh!

http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0094040#m_en_gb0094040

I’m feeling gloomy again! ( :>(
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 11 September 2010 9:18:30 PM
<< I don't know why you whipper snipers don't grow up, & have fun, like us old farts. >>

Whipper SNIPERS ?? !! ??

<< Why did you boomers not just make the place gloomy, but wimpy as well >>.

WIMPY ?? !! ??

Haaaaaaa haaa hahahahaha.

It is great that you are having so much fun ya old fart, Hasbeen.

This thread is just getting better and better !

Hey.... I’m not feeling gloomy any more!
Posted by Ludwig, Saturday, 11 September 2010 9:28:30 PM
I just gotta say that I much prefer being fifty to twenty-five. I like my attitude much more - I'm more confident and not so easily swayed into treading societies well worn path. I have a bit more gumption to do things differently if it so pleases me.
I have a nine year-old son and a twenty eight year-old daughter so am enjoying things up and down the spectrum.
My advice is to look outside the square..fill your head with interesting things, read of all the lives you never had..and don't take the media too seriously.
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 11 September 2010 10:05:33 PM
If your definisiton is accurate, Ludwig,I'm a baby-boomer too, but I sure don't feel like an old fart.

At 47, I've risen to the top of two very different fields and given both away. I know I don't like the corporate life and the pressure to perform that is part of being successful in a corporate environment. That had a lot to do with the break down of my marriage, I suspect.

I'd have to say that I feel pretty good about myself and my life. Despite the best efforts of the "system" to grind me down I have a tolerably successful business that allows me quite a bit of flexibility and pays the bills. I don't have to go anything I choose not to and I have the personal authority to say "I don't want your business" for no reason other than your looks if I choose.

I have 2 fantastic kids, with whom I get to spend lots of good times and who seem to enjoy my company. I have a bunch of great mates who've stuck by through thick and thin.

I have a great boat that lets me go fishing whenever they're on and I don't have any debts except the one invented by the CSA.

I don't have any women hanging on to my coattails, spending my money, interfering with my pleasures and wasting my times with things that don't interest me.

The only fly in the ointment is a neurotic ex-wife and a corrupt Government organisation determined to pander to her neurosis. Their time will come soon and then it's plain sailing for me and mine.

I occasionally think on the fact that I've got about 25 years left to enjoy and that makes me all the more determined to enjoy them. I spent far too much of my first 47 trying to please others.

Nil carborundum illegitimatum!! (as they say in the classics...)
Posted by Antiseptic, Sunday, 12 September 2010 6:24:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy