The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Lifting of posting limits

Lifting of posting limits

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
This is notice to let you know that we've decided to increase the number of times that you can post in a 24 hour period. The original limits were put in place to ensure that discussion was orderly and polite. Originally there were no limits and some of the posts were "short nasty and brutish". The limitation on posting limits meant that it was less rewarding to do these sorts of posts.

But time moves on, and over the last six years I think we've developed an ethos on the site which encourages longer posts and more intellectual engagement than most other sites, so we've decided it is now time to lift the posting limit to allow conversations to flow more smoothly.

However, if things do regress to where they were originally we will reinstate the more stringent limits. It takes a long time to get the ethos of a community right, but it can be destroyed in days. We don't want that to happen.

The new limits are 10 posts on article threads and 4 posts on any one article and 20 posts on general threads and 8 per thread.

I'm interested in your feedback. While I moderate the site, it really depends on the emails I get from lots of you to ensure that this moderation is effective.
Posted by GrahamY, Wednesday, 24 February 2010 11:06:43 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
While I'm sure this decision is probably more to do with the quality of my posts and the desire for more content from me (Not to mention the extra advertising revenue), I still say you should keep the limits the same.

People need to learn to save their ammunition. Like any war, there are limited resources and you need to use them wisely. There's nothing like drawing enemy fire and extinguishing the threat, then going on the offensive and watching your enemy writhe in pain, helpless and unable to respond for 24 hours until new ammunition is available.

Less IS More. Especially from some posters.

Though "short nasty and brutish" does sound very appealing.
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 24 February 2010 11:39:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Graham

I see it as a good idea.

This way if you have proven your point and people just try to turn it into spin then you can at least Answer those questions being posted.

So well done graham.
Posted by tapp, Wednesday, 24 February 2010 11:42:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ever one to keep an eye on the Technical Support area of the Forum, I was fascinated to learn that early on in the OLO epoch the absence of posting limits favoured the prevalence of "short, nasty, and brutish" posts. Here was I thinking that brevity was the soul of wit, and that the real enemy of the Forum was too many (gamboge?) words. One lives and learns.

Thank you (I think) GrahamY, although you have now diluted somewhat the latent challenge residing to make the most of the 350 word limit in any given post. At least the more technical, or perhaps more obscure, points can be made at relevant times in a (hopefully civil) discussion, like what Ludwig often tries to do.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Wednesday, 24 February 2010 11:51:39 AM
Hi all, let's just keep a watching brief on it. The other problem we had early on wasn't just the short "break wind and leave the room" type posts, but the people with time on their hands who could post ad nauseum and wear everyone else down - effectively bully them into submission or out of the argument.

But some topics do invite a bit more engagement, so I'm hoping that people will use with restraint.

It's easy enough to reinstate the old rules, so make sure that people on threads understand. You might even use some of your new allocation to do that if you feel the need.

Maybe we could even look at according some people "senior" status to help police manners in an understated way?
Posted by GrahamY, Wednesday, 24 February 2010 3:15:58 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'aybe we could even look at according some people "senior" status to help police manners in an understated way?'

Oh man! I vote Foxy and Examinator and CJ! They're made for the Job!
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 24 February 2010 3:57:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy