The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Now, We are A Police State

Now, We are A Police State

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 19
  13. 20
  14. 21
  15. All
Bronwyn “You have no desire to challenge the fact that this event is costing taxpayers $86 000 000?”

I was not aware of a charge on the public purse but would agree, it should not cost the tax payers of NSW anything.

Football and other large events pay for policing.

It is appropriate that if policing for this event is that amount, the Church of Rome should pay.

Whilst I remain indifferent to any Roman Catholics right to rally, it should not be a rally which is subsidized with public funds.

Belly “It is amazing how many posters have ignored the fact these extra laws did not exist for the Olympics or the recent heads of state meetings.”

Yes Belly, it is iniquitous.

But the Church of Rome did, after all, invent the iniquitous
Posted by Col Rouge, Wednesday, 2 July 2008 7:37:49 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I think there must be a huge number of Roman Catholics in positions of power in Australia for such a big event, with such restrictions, to be permitted. Its causing inconvenience and misery to many citizens Im sure.
I frequently hear the the Roman Catholic church called "the Church"...yet its not.
The REAL church is the global body of christian believers who sit in many denomonations.

Id like to see a commission into just what the RC church gets up to here in Australia and what power they have to sway the population over to things like ONE WORLD CHURCH.

Islams' quiet creep internally...the Chinese spies spreading out...the RC church and its manipulations...is there any difference between any of them when it comes to overthrow of democracy and a personal Christ belief?
Posted by Gibo, Wednesday, 2 July 2008 8:57:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Id like to see a commission into just what the .. church gets up to here in Australia and what power they have to sway the population" http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=1943#39795

http://www.theage.com.au/news/editorial/politicians-sing-to-hillsongs-tune/2005/07/05/1120329444531.html

http://larvatusprodeo.net/2005/07/05/the-light-on-the-hillsong/

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/rudd-attacks-pm-over-sect-meeting/2007/08/22/1187462345478.html

http://www.pnc.com.au/~jwcs/One_Church_Party.pdf

Now that Gibo's concerns have been addressed we can get back to the topic.

I was listening to a discussion on sexual harassment this morning regarding complaints about wolf whistling in Cairns and some of the discussion seemed very similar to this issue. The action becomes unlawful based on how the person making the complaint perceives the action not on the intent of the person doing the action.

Personally I think that wolf whistling strangers is rude, fun between consenting adults but keep it there. At the same time laws which seem to be based on how something is received rather than intended bother me a lot.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Wednesday, 2 July 2008 9:42:41 AM
Gibo,

Of the Old Churches, it has been said that, "the only difference between the Catholics and Anglicans was how long they toasted their victims".

In really, churches are political entities, wherein in one will find good people and bad people. Some seek power, others to serve.
Posted by Oliver, Wednesday, 2 July 2008 12:46:11 PM
After watching the news last night and learning a bit
more about this event, I fully agree with Ludwig,
legal parameters should be defined and set in place with
what will constitute "annoyance," and be punishable.
To prevent abuse - and allow both the public and the police
know exactly what they can and can't do.

It would bother me that people were fined for wearing
t-shirts with messages, or carrying placards...
Posted by Foxy, Wednesday, 2 July 2008 1:04:49 PM
Be a bit careful with Ludwig, Foxy. There is a flaw in his mentality when he appeals to strong law enforcement, with such emphasis:

Ludwig> "I don’t have a problem with strong law enforcement, just as long as we all know just what activities will cause such action to be rendered.

Ludwig>In short, a strong policing regime is GOOD"

Note his use of the term "regime". He is very strongly authoritarian in some cases, which means that as long as the law says t-shirts are illegal, he will support it and support police making arrests.

Administrators like Ludwig are the types who sign off on police powers that treat the citzenry like criminals ("STRONG police enforcement" essentially equals thuggish behaviour and mentality). You know the idiots who will give you a maximum fine for driving 1kph over the speed limit on an empty road.
Posted by Steel, Wednesday, 2 July 2008 1:49:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. ...
  12. 19