The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > General Discussion > Now, We are A Police State

Now, We are A Police State

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 19
  9. 20
  10. 21
  11. All
If only someone would pass laws things which caused annoyance to me.

Oh what fun I could have. I try not to get greatly annoyed unnecessarily but if by getting annoyed I could make a difference my approach might change. Lot's of things I merely disagree with now might become an annoyance.

As they say power corrupts, absolute power corrupts ...

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 1 July 2008 11:12:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is a major event (forget the religious aspect) which will attract visitors from not only within Australia, but
from all over the world. The police have been
given their orders to prevent any disruption,
or embarrassing incidents occurring, and provide
protection for the participants from any unforseen
threats.

It's similar to the Olympic
Games in size I believe, and law enforcement protection
(security) has to be guaranteed by the host country.

I can understand to objections being raised -
because it is a "religious" event. However I feel that
objecting to the event being granted police protection
to which it is entitled, is wrong.
This type of event has occurred in other countries and similar
provisions are made in Australia to comply with
overseas expectations.

Let's see what happens after all this is over, before
deciding whether we are becoming a "police state."
We didn't become a "police state" after the Sydney
Olympics.
Posted by Foxy, Tuesday, 1 July 2008 11:37:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Gibo,

When I was the Director of Studies at an Asian university I found myself under pressure to pass students whom plagiarise. I resigned.

Police Officers are to blame if they do not resign and find a new job, should they find in-service thuggery among their peers.

Actually, there should permitted senior lateral appointments into the Police Service to break-up its club/gang culture.

Where there are real threats to Australia's security; these matters should rest with intelligence authorities.
Posted by Oliver, Tuesday, 1 July 2008 11:46:54 AM
I think it is hilarious that the professional protesters like the Greens who make a habit of disrupting peoples lives with protests and violence are upset about orderly gatherings. I suggest you get a life! No doubt you have no problem with the 'gay' parade disrutping peoples lives as well as turning their stomachs.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 1 July 2008 12:12:35 PM
An $1,100 fine if you publically expose yourself in front of an attendee but $5,500 if you wear the wrong T-shirt?

Who decides if something is offensive? I guess you'll just have to wait in the cells until somebody hands down their opinion.

The "Thought Police" have arrived.

What's so special about this Christian Hajj that warrants it's own laws anyway - against the same tax-payers helping to fund the event in the first place?

I suggest that atheists be granted equal rights - a taxpayer funded three day booze-up at the races under Police protection.
Posted by wobbles, Tuesday, 1 July 2008 12:13:52 PM
I have to agree with the majority of posters so far. How will "annoyance" be defined exactly?

Gibo I am also mindful of the difficulties facing police in these situations. Often only part of the story gets told in the media, but that said, we are fast encroaching on a police state. We are not there yet, but as Steel said it only takes a few steps to cross the line.

Police don't want to be put in these situations where they might have to enforce draconian laws. Some police may overstep the mark for sure, but let's not forget that most police just want to get along and do their job with the least impact or violence and are very much into freedom of speech. It is the laws and the governments of the day that set the tone for law enforcement.

Oliver don't aske the 'good' police officers to resign, we need them to stay more than ever and in large numbers to offset the more corrupt elements in the force.

There is also the cost. I have no problem with any religion holding a festival or a 'youth day' but why are taxpayers funding it? The Catholic Church in particular is not without financial resources.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/04/21/2222342.htm
Posted by pelican, Tuesday, 1 July 2008 12:56:27 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 19
  9. 20
  10. 21
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy