The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Queen’s birthday and our 'hallowed' long weekend > Comments

The Queen’s birthday and our 'hallowed' long weekend : Comments

By Tim O'Dwyer, published 5/6/2009

Come the next referendum there is a critical question for all of us who swear by a Monday off: will we keep our sacred Queen’s Birthday holiday?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
We should keep the Queen's Birthday and add another holiday if we get a Republic, after all, she has been a good influence on our country. Even if she passes on, we should keep it, if we get a King next (or another Queen) and are not a republic by then, then add the King's Birthday.

The role of the modern monarchy is not to interfere with anything but to be a consistent and reliable keel, so to speak, for our country's smooth sailing. When we hate our politicians, I know I do on occasions, we can continue to respect her.

No need to toss her overboard if she is no longer useful, let's remember her for a while longer, till someone or something else is as reliable and comforting to our psyche.

I'm not a monarchist, far from it, but don't want to be divisive on who a national holiday should be named after, does it have to be a person? I'd put up Nat Young or "Midget" Farrally, but that's just idolizing childhood heroes, we all have them.

Why not just "NDO", "National Day Off", no reason, nothing to do, no fireworks or parades attached, a free day and if people want to add a ceremony, no worries but just remember it's unofficial.
Posted by rpg, Friday, 5 June 2009 1:41:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Republic of Australia Independence Day
Posted by Kipp, Friday, 5 June 2009 3:47:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Its not referred to as the Queen's Birthday Weekend by many people - its just the June Long Weekend, nicely bookended by the October Long Weekend. No need to change anything - and if, as a Republic, we want to remember the Queen and her role in our history, where's the harm?
Posted by Candide, Friday, 5 June 2009 11:29:16 PM
It will always be cracker night for me. :(
Posted by mikk, Saturday, 6 June 2009 4:04:58 AM
If she willingly signed off on the matters pertaining to

"the forcible transference of children from one group to another"

in breach of the Genocide Convention Act

amongst other things, in the post WWII era, then she should be tried for being the criminal that she is.
Posted by DreamOn, Saturday, 6 June 2009 1:40:57 PM
Dreamon,

You are a party pooper!!
Posted by beaumonde, Monday, 8 June 2009 6:00:31 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy