The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > We’re just not that into it > Comments

We’re just not that into it : Comments

By Sheree Cartwright and Anastasia Powell, published 24/3/2009

Film review 'He’s Just Not That Into You': it is high time we rejected gendered stereotypes and old school dating ‘rules’.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All
More twaddle.

As an observant school boy, in the 50s, I saw those downtrodden house wives.

I saw those tough men, come home, with the unopened pay packet, & hand it to their little play thing. I saw the tough guy hold out his hand for his pocket money for the week.

Any time there was entertaining going on, it was at her insistence, not his, he'd rather sit around in his jocks, & socks.

I saw the down trodden wife at bridge, tuesday afternoon, & at tennis, wednesday. Sure, many of them had to do a day a fortnight at the school tuckshop, but that was bearable, & could be fun, with afternoon tea, somewhere afterwards.

I'm sure these silly girls write this stuff, trying to convince them selves they have it made. Wrong girls, you've given up the good life my mum had, silly things.

If most of today's overworked, overwrought young mums ever had a chance to experience the down trodden life of a 50s mum, you would never get them back to work, in an office, or what have you. But keep it up girls, industry, & the government have all these computers, & we need those working mums to drive them.

I even made my down trodden lady sail 20,000 miles around the pacific with me, before I'd accept she was not one of those ghastly career types. Just why she had to take all that child bearing stuff so seriously, I don't know. But then, I never have been able to understand women.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 25 March 2009 9:41:51 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
And here was I thinking that all the dinosaurs died millions of years ago.

Your nom de plume is so amazingly accurate Hasbeen, its scary.
Posted by Bugsy, Wednesday, 25 March 2009 10:23:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Never have truer words been written: "But then, I never have been able to understand women." Thanks for showing your igorance Hasbeen. A very apt epithet too - well done. As one of those "ghastly career women" I can tell you that I have a very much more interesting, exciting and intellectual life than your doormat of a partner.
Posted by Miranda Suzanne, Thursday, 26 March 2009 8:52:45 AM
'much more interesting, exciting and intellectual life than your doormat of a partner.'

Ah, that old doozy. Any women who enjoys caring for children at home and cooking is by definition a doormat? Feminism is about choice, different strokes and all that...
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 26 March 2009 11:30:37 AM
No, Houellebecq, not a doormat for staying at home and looking after children. That is a noble occupation. A doormat for allowing Hasbeen to browbeat her into complying with his wishes.
Posted by Miranda Suzanne, Thursday, 26 March 2009 12:09:27 PM
"A doormat for allowing Hasbeen to browbeat her into complying with his wishes."

What absolute bollocks, all this does is betray your own prejudice and lack of humour. It is plain that Hasbeen was writing tongue in cheek. It says a lot about anyone who could get indignant about Hasbeen's comments or a romantic comedy that they cannot laugh at themselves.

It is true that feminists only have a sense of humour when it is at the cruel expense of men, but the film and Hasbeen's wry and dry sense of humour allow you to have a chuckle if only you will not take yourself so seriously.

In any event, look around you and you will find that many, not some, women rejoice in the choice of managing a household, caring for a family and in many cases, involving themselves in the cottage industries that go with it. Some women enjoy being looked after by their husband, as much as some men (man?) like the woman to take care of household finances an so on. Most couples are flexible these days and flip flop back and forth of their roles and this includes that of being the wage slave.

You are correct in that it is all about choice, but you are wrong as feminists usually are to then flop back into the familiar rut of blaming men for 'subjugating' women who make that choice. What is apparent though is that women could do without the extra stress of your political correctness.

Returning to the film, men could also complain about their treatment in it, but thank goodness none have been foolish enough to take umbrage and maybe have taken some lessons from it. For example, why string a woman along for years taking advantage of her generosity. Be man enough to make your intentions clear from the outset.
Posted by Cornflower, Thursday, 26 March 2009 2:25:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 9
  10. 10
  11. 11
  12. All