The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > We’re just not that into it > Comments

We’re just not that into it : Comments

By Sheree Cartwright and Anastasia Powell, published 24/3/2009

Film review 'He’s Just Not That Into You': it is high time we rejected gendered stereotypes and old school dating ‘rules’.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All
It could have been worse Pericles, they could have named her Gigli.
Posted by Bugsy, Tuesday, 24 March 2009 2:22:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"I would rather a faithful woman in the kitchen with an apron cooking for her man a meal then a loud mouthed woman dressed like a prostitute half sozzled at a bar."

And those seem to be the only alternatives in runners world.
No thought to a capable woman able to discipline the children herself when needed or one who makes decisions with her partner. No understanding that men can be men without needing to dominate their partners or have them subject to manly authority. No understanding that women are able to make informed choices about how they dress and or how much they drink without a man to direct them.

As for the article. Mostly great but the start of the article focussing on the women as victims of men thing was off putting. Far better to focus on a rething of relationships and expectations than genderised point scoring.

One of the central themes that I've seen from the add's for this film and the Sex in the City show and films is that of relationships being an end in themselves. They become an item on a checklist for people which needs to be ticked off to get the right life with little thought to what it's really about. Relationships get treated a bit like a car, most of have to have one, we have some preferences about what type we would like to have but if thats not within our means then we will have a different one.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 24 March 2009 2:53:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I haven't seen the movie either, and probably won't because it looks inane. I daresay that despite whatever pop culture messages are out there the majority of men and women will just continue on doing the best they can to get along and trying to make the most of their lives and relationships. And there may even be a bit of joy in there, and a bit of fun and mutual appreciation and cooking and lovemaking.
I know that there is a certain amount of amusing dysfunction on this blog and, if some of us are honest, it is the reason we come here - a bit of a glimpse at ways of thinking that are really "out there", although it detracts seriously from worthwhile public debate. But really, the following is too much: "I would rather a faithful woman in the kitchen with an apron cooking for her man a meal then a loud mouthed woman dressed like a prostitute half sozzled at a bar."
The madonna/whore stereotype nonsense really is beyond the pale. If a woman isn't being kept under wraps, performing her duties in the kitchen, then she is likely to go wild. The fear and hatred of women really comes through here. Women's freedom is to be feared and measures taken to prevent it. What garbage. It is actually possible for a woman, like me for example, to have a busy, engaging career away from the kitchen and have no desire to dress like a prostitute and drink in a bar. Is there no middle ground with you people? Even if I did, inexplicably, feel like doing the latter stereotypical activity, I doubt my partner would mind too much. He would just assume that I am in charge of my own life and am making my own decisions. He knows, and he is the stronger and better man for it, that women are not objects to be controlled but individuals who are in charge of their own destiny.
Posted by Miranda Suzanne, Tuesday, 24 March 2009 3:01:08 PM
Look while I respect and agree with the Authors, the reality is everyone is different some people are into those ideas. Oh well it takes all sorts.
Runner I am married to a strong women with a mind of her own, and that's just the way I like it. I have no interest in having a live in servant. Rather I want (and have) a friend and lover who challenges me and is better than me in many respects. It's say nothing about my "manliness" as I define that note her just as I don't define her womanliness". But I will say one thing, I'm far more confident in my manliness then you are, in fact I think you’re scared of women.
Posted by Kenny, Tuesday, 24 March 2009 9:25:57 PM
For over a hundred years, life according to Hollywood has followed a simple gender script ...

Men win wars and grand finals, defeat bad guys, climb mountains, lead nations and corporations, save damsels, seek vengeance when wronged, go on road trips, defend their principles, go from rags to riches and back again, fight crime or turn to crime, have mid-life crises and testosterone-driven coming of age crises … and generally save the world on a regular basis.

Women, however, spend all their waking moments either looking for a man to love them, worrying about whether they have what it takes for a man to love them and, if they already have a man who loves them, they are fretting about whether the man will stop loving them.

There might be a message or two in earnest chic-flicks like HJNIY, but they’re mostly fake. Basically, they remain firmly ensconced within the male-centric paradigm that women’s fortunes are inextricably linked to their desirability.

The only way this will ever change is to have a 50% quota of women’s bums on director’s seats, telling stories about the true reality of women’s lives, instead of Hollywood’s endlessly regurgitated fantasy that women spend their entire lives in pursuit of a man’s love.

JamesH

It’s just occurred to me. By applying the ‘He’s Just Not Into You’ Law to your posting history, could it be that the reason you’re so mean to feminists is because deep down you really like them? ... Just kidding.

Runner

‘I would rather a faithful woman in the kitchen with an apron cooking for her man..’

So would a lot of men, especially if the apron is ALL she’s wearing.
Posted by SJF, Tuesday, 24 March 2009 9:33:53 PM
Dr Claire Kelly,

Thank you. No need to post my comments now.

Actually,

Yeah. And that Bruce Willis, there's no way the same thing could have happened to him three years in a row at Christmas in the Die Hard movies!

This article reminds me of a scene from a movie I've forgotten the name of. A black guy was convinced that pool was a racist game because the whole goal is to sink the black ball into the hole using the white ball. It is based on a the white man's fear of the potency of the black man's superior sexual potency.

Sometimes.... it's just a f*ckn movie man!
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 25 March 2009 1:48:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 9
  9. 10
  10. 11
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy