The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The umbrella woman > Comments

The umbrella woman : Comments

By Monica Dux, published 19/2/2009

The problem is that Australians have never really accepted that the sun is bad.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Well, I’ll say, “You beauty!”, and totally endorse the idea that “…we may never be quite at home in our climate…”.

As a male, I would probably be stoned to death for walking around with an umbrella in ‘good’ weather as would, it appears, Asian males. I do see Australian females of Asian background out it the sun with umbrellas, though, and I think that they are very sensible. I hope the author manages to ignore her ‘friends’ and protect herself the same way.

In my part of Australia, there is no humidity, and the temperature in the sun get up to 60 degrees, turning those peaches and cream complexions into tanned leather.

We white Australians can do nothing now about where we live, but it is quite obvious from the original make up of populations around the world that white people were not intended to live in places like Australia and Africa, India nor in any hot, dry climate. Our skins are just not suited to it.

Before mass immigration, most people living in hot countries were black or varying shades of darkish, protective skin. The cold countries were inhabited by pale skinned people who didn’t need protection from burning sun.

Nature had it all worked out. Humans thought they knew better, and we are now paying the price with skin cancers.
Posted by Leigh, Thursday, 19 February 2009 9:39:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Freckles on decolletage is very sexy. I pay as much attention to it as manners permit.
Posted by bennie, Thursday, 19 February 2009 10:06:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Umbrellas are a health hazard to those around the person holding them. I am all for hats – especially the Bolivian style; they provide great aesthetics – the hats and the wizened-leather faces underneath.

Perhaps those Bolivian faces are similar to the whisky taster at quality control in a distillery: when congratulated on his white-bearded dapper stance in spite of the mature white beard of obvious maturity, he replied – but I’m only twenty-two!

I spent my first two decades without a shirt as often as not – in the then “skin-cancer capital of the world” – on the highest part of the Atherton Tableland. I have yet to be visited by the dreaded melanoma; due to good diet, healthy lifestyle, genetic good fortune, the visit has been delayed. I expect it will ring my doorbell some time. As it would have done for those many, many generations of Bolivian ancestors who were the most susceptible.

Caution indeed, and if umbrella-ing, make sure it covers bareflesh on the legs – a colleague at age forty died from melanoma which developed from an insignificant spot on his leg. Be alert, be wary, be informed of symptoms. Be your own advance-guard – don’t put all your trust upon an annual inspection by a medical expert.

Apart from the tragedy of cancer, there is the cooked-chook legacy – as evidenced of those survivors of a basting with coconut oil followed by roasting at the beach, from a generation or two ago.
Posted by colinsett, Thursday, 19 February 2009 10:31:26 AM
Yes, I became an umbrella woman a few years back. I got tired of having a drenched head of hair whenever I took my hat off after coming in from the heat, and I also wanted more protection for my arms and upper torso.

I love my brollie and carrying it at full sail (or whatever the term is for brollies) has become something of an identity statement. I've noticed over the years that initial sniggering and raised eyebrows has evolved into lots of 'You got the right idea, love' type praise from passers by. Also, I've finally inspired some of my friends to start using them.

The annual Walks Against Warming encourage participants to get into the spirit of big bold colourful brollies, some with environmental statements on them. The idea could spread.

Leigh. Unfortunately, you're right about men and brollies. If women feel like dorks for using them, I can't even begin to think how men would be made to feel.

And Colinsett, good point about feet. Very early on in spring, I start to develop a sandal tanning pattern on my feet that stays until winter. Feet and lower legs are a very neglected sun awareness issue.
Posted by SJF, Thursday, 19 February 2009 11:14:36 AM
"Colonising Australians have never felt entirely at home in the country’s unforgiving landscape. Our brief and sometimes violent history has left many of us feeling like a people who don’t belong, and the climate hasn’t helped."

Some of the original settlers may have pined for their old country but that is normal for any migrants and a reason for multiculturalism. Besides, such loss if felt is not genetically passed on.

Apart from that, the statement that "colonising Australians have never felt entirely at home" might well be the author's opinion but few would agree with her.

It is all down to fashion trends. Post WW2 fashions had lots of material and body coverage. Hats, scarves and umbrellas were usual and expected. Hat pegs and umbrella stands are still there to be seen in many older houses, or more likely, in antique shops.

I would say that if anything it was the rejection of the 'home country and Europe and the slavish worship of America that led Australians to adopt American fashion, such as the baseball cap and tee shirts without collar or sleeves.

Entrepreneurs and their marketing people promoted basking in the sun for hours to get a tan. Skin damage was as much down to fraudulent cosmetic manufacturers who added almost every fruit and nut to skin cremes but never included a U/V filter, which along with diet and gravity, was the main cause of skin ageing and damage.

"..lobster-red lifesavers and heat-stroked stockmen.." -How unfortunate that the author chose two groups who avidly employ mechanical sun protection. You don't see many stockmen without their trademark broad-brimmed hats, long trousers and long-sleeved shirts. As for lifesavers they only drop the broad brimmed hat, long shorts, shirts and sunglasses on the way into the surf.

Stay out of the sun? Well not entirely because so many people are suffering from lack of vitamin D, especially the old and particularly during the winter months.

Hats and loose light clothing are far more sensible than spikey umbrellas.

Leigh,
Dark skinned and Asian peoples do die from skin cancer:
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/07/skin_cancer.html
Posted by Cornflower, Thursday, 19 February 2009 2:01:10 PM
Parasol - para sol - against the sun. Love parasols, they are such an elegant shape - smaller than an umbrella, on a longer handle and with a bump rather than a spike. My mother had a lovely woven straw one - like a hat on a stick! Perhaps they will make a comeback, and they certainly look less threatening or odd than an umbrella on a sunny day. Have to endorse the comment about scorched feet, though - so easy to overlook until they have pinked up.
Posted by Candide, Friday, 20 February 2009 11:00:08 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy