The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The umbrella woman > Comments

The umbrella woman : Comments

By Monica Dux, published 19/2/2009

The problem is that Australians have never really accepted that the sun is bad.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I wish the skin-cancer scare campaign would try to tell the truth... Suntans DO NOT CAUSE dangerous skin cancer.

Melanomas are the dangerous skin cancer and it is caused by getting BURNT, NOT by a healthy suntan.

The 'sunspots' that most old people get are technically a cancer, and overall sun exposure does cause these, but these are not dangerous and nobody has ever died from them.

The mortal danger is GETTING BURNT, and being lilly-white due to slip-slap-slopping is the main cause of sunburn. Being white leaves you entirely reliant on artificial protection, like suncream.

I had a friend who worked for the cancer council. She (of course) was lilly-white and always slip-slap-slopped... and I have never seen somebody get sunburnt as frequently as she did. Having no suntan, she had no natural protection. So when she didn't have every square milimetre covered with cream she burnt.

I lost count of number of times she had severe small burns because she missed a spot when putting on suncream, or it rubbed off under her collar, or sweated off...

This woman was a walking skin cancer waiting to happen, Because she slip-slop-slapped all the time!

To Stop dangerous cancer
Get a suntan
Never get burnt.
Posted by partTimeParent, Monday, 23 February 2009 10:25:03 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy