The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Apes get rights in Spain > Comments

Apes get rights in Spain : Comments

By Michael Cook, published 21/7/2008

The Spanish Left meets 'Animal Farm': apparently the more intelligent and aware an animal is, the more deserving of basic rights it is.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
While I would not recommend the The Communist Manifesto as a basis for any society, the orangutans is on the verge of extinction, mainly because of the clearing of forests for palm oil plantations.

It is also being thought that the orangutan has a better ability to memorise details than humans.

Considering the ability of humans to hear, see and smell compared to many other aniumals, humans are not that sophisticated.
Posted by HRS, Monday, 21 July 2008 9:48:14 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
This is a rather simplistic article in terms of analysing Peter Singer's views. And Spain will never be a civilized country while it allows - no, encourages, as a "tourist attraction" - the routine torture and slow, brutal deaths of thousands of bulls.

"Livestock" all over the world are brutalized by the greatest predator this planet is ever going to have to answer for - humans.

ALL animals are sentient beings, capable of feeling hunger, thirst, pain, fear and loneliness. Until we, as a species recognize that, and treat animals humanely, we cannot claim any degree of civilzation.

Nicky
Posted by Nicky, Monday, 21 July 2008 4:54:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What a poorly argued article.

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others” has been true for centuries though not in the way Orwell has intended. The human animal has long dominated most other species. Even if we count humans as above mere animals. There is a vast difference in the way we kill pests with pesticides and 'domesticated' livestock for consumption in abattoirs.

I haven't seen the new Spanish law or read Peter Singer's book but to suggest that the Spanish government can't protect workers, immigrants and animals at the same time is not very convincing. Similarly the statement that animals as sub humans don't deserve humane treatment doesn't cut the mustard either, the RSPCA is a very popular charity in Australia and I think many people do believe that some animals do deserve humane treatment.
Posted by gusi, Monday, 21 July 2008 6:14:22 PM
Hi Gusi

To be fair, I think in Australia most people believe that animals should receive humane treatment, but the wider community is largely uninformed, chooses to be so, or is apathetic about what goes on in industrialized farming such as intensive pig, meat chicken and battery hen farming.

The RSPCA, and especially Animals Australia try to get the information out there. I think there needs to be a comprehensive labelling system detailing exactly how meat and eggs are "produced". Some animals are most definitely more equal than others. If some of the practices and mutilations carried out upon "farmed" animals were carried out at all, or the same way on "companion" animals, they would attract prosecution. But because State and Federal "Codes of Practice" exist, "farmed" animals virtually have no protection under cruelty legislation. CoPs are voluntary and unenforceable, but compliance with these pitiful documents can form the basis of a defence against cruelty charges. Non-compliance, however, can form the basis of a prosecution.

Similarly, people are outraged by whaling and will spend hours in cold water trying to save a beached whale, but have no regard for the tormented lives of the animals who finish up on their plates.

Your cat or dog is definitely more "equal" because it happens to be under your table, not on it.

Cheers
Nicky
Posted by Nicky, Monday, 21 July 2008 6:55:07 PM
The arrogance of our species!
How dare we destroy billions of bacteria and viruses every year, just to maintain our selfish dominance of the planet.

Equal rights for cholera!
Posted by Stuart Walker, Monday, 21 July 2008 8:18:04 PM
Cook's put together rather an impressive piece of propaganda, though when you actually think about it, you can see this piece for the Trojan horse that it is.

You really need to ask yourself what it is that Cook is actually criticising. It's not as simple as it sounds, because I didn't specifically hear him say he's opposed to animal rights per se. Evidently, it's just the degree of animal rights that Cook is questioning.

Which leads me to wonder what it is that Cook is really writing about in this piece. Aside from being a scarcely veiled attack on left wing views, I think this paragraph is quite telling:

"Unborn and infant humans, comatose humans, retarded humans and senile humans will all be lower in the hierarchy than a healthy chimpanzee, or guinea pig, for that matter."

Of course, were Cook to write another piece criticising pro-choice policy, it would be seen for the commentary that it is. So instead, he criticises left wing politics, and makes an oblique attack on what seems to me to be a pretty petty policy in regard to animal welfare. As Cook says himself, there's only 350 apes in zoos in the country.

So the piece essentially says that this law is stupid. Why does it say that? Because there's more important things to discuss.
So what are these more important things?

Evidently Cook wants to put in place pro-life policies. Instead of tackling the fact that this inevitably degrades women's rights.

If you think this sounds like a long bow based on this single paragraph, ask yourself what the real problem with giving apes a few more rights is - unless of course, you'd like to give the same rights to the 'unborn' as Cook makes abundantly clear.

But I suppose it's easier to pick one stupid policy, use this to tar the 'left' as incompetent and use it as a Trojan horse for his own views, than take on the complex issues of women's rights versus abortions.

Though I for one, don't particularly like this approach.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Monday, 21 July 2008 10:16:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy