The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An atheist who loved his neighbour > Comments

An atheist who loved his neighbour : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 10/7/2008

Philip Nitschke has discovered the hard way that singular targets are a gift for the opposition of any crusade.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I liked your article Brian, up until the Nazi reference anyway. They have been overdone.
I can understand policy makers being afraid to make a decision regarding euthanasia. There is no going back if someone were to rort a legal system that allowed it.
However, I watched my father in law slowly starve to death after a stroke. Despite his explicit wishes to end his life there was no way to do it without risking lengthy incarceration.
We don't even treat animals this way.
Posted by T.Sett, Thursday, 10 July 2008 9:34:41 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thank you Brian. Thank the Lord for people like Dr N. Damnation to the nay sayers, I hope they get theirs
Posted by ianbrum, Thursday, 10 July 2008 9:51:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From the article: "Maybe Nitschke was born to remain restless until he had a cause to fight for."

After reading a few of Brian's recent articles I think this might be a fitting description of him as well. I don't agree with them all, but regardless they are still a good read. The alternative appears to consist of being berated by David Palmer and friends for not following their interpretation of their God's words. That does get so tiresome after a while.
Posted by rstuart, Thursday, 10 July 2008 10:51:16 AM
Just ask yourself a few questions. Do you want to come to the end your life suffering possibly considerable pain and very likely incompetence in dealing with any of the small daily essentials of life, or should that be spelt incontinence although that may only encompass one small aspect of your misery. Do you want some almost stranger to have the authority to alleviate the pain if in his opinion he may think you are suffering enough. Of course if you believe in an all powerful being, he will not let you suffer at all perhaps unless you have been a very naughty boy.
However wouldn’t it be a great improvement if you could decide for yourself whether to struggle on with the best medical palliatives offered or whether to depart from this life with dignity and in control of this final step.
If you agree, support Dr N in every way and write to your M.P. and ask him to vote for Bob Browns initiative.
Posted by Pin, Thursday, 10 July 2008 2:55:41 PM
You can take any modern issue these days, and see that it is commanded by the religious (for the most part). Our political leaders conceal their extreme religious views or alliances with churches of Australia.

This back channel is extremely corrupt, as in most cases with these modern issues a majority of Australians probably disagrees with their implementation.
Posted by Steel, Thursday, 10 July 2008 3:32:59 PM
"Our political leaders conceal their extreme religious views or alliances with churches of Australia."

Quite so. I have to say I'm surprised Kevin Rudd turned out to be such wowserish little god-botherer. I thought he was just doing the US Republican thing of claiming Christianity for the votes while tacitly supporting self-serving and party-centric policies. I was caught off-guard by an honest pollie!
Posted by Sancho, Thursday, 10 July 2008 3:42:16 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy