The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An atheist who loved his neighbour > Comments

An atheist who loved his neighbour : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 10/7/2008

Philip Nitschke has discovered the hard way that singular targets are a gift for the opposition of any crusade.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
socratease,

A succinct and compassionate post. Well said.

O.
Posted by Oliver, Saturday, 12 July 2008 1:19:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So many thousands of words have been written about voluntary euthanasia, its benefits and people's fears about it. The religious among Australians currently hold the balance of power with their version of love and compassion, our day will come another time!. When the younger more intelligent folk start moving into government decision making, not bound by religious views two thousand years old and, to date never substantiated claims. I believe wholeheartedly in science.

As an atheist I have no fear of the next life whatsoever and for that I am grateful. I really appreciate what Philip Nitschke has attempted on the behalf of those who for whatever reason, choose to have the option of pro choice in their end of life decision making.

I was so impressed with Brian's discussion points that I posted his article on my website www.yourchoiceindying.com Long may free speech allow us to keep the discussion open, at least here in Victoria.

We who want pro choice for the individual live in hope that we too will have rights over our own end of life decisions. I don't want to suffer unnecessarily, however others may do so if they choose!

Mary Walsh
Posted by Choice, Monday, 14 July 2008 4:51:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lets look at some issues driven by predominantly the religious:

-censorship
-intelligent design
-euthenasia
-gay marriage
-stem cell research

albeit not only the religious but they have the deepest implanted agenda in our two-faced politicans (besides feminism).
Posted by Steel, Monday, 14 July 2008 6:12:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes Steel lets take a look at these issues.

Censorship,
I will assume you are talking about the debate over Hensons photographs which split the public opinion between the pretentious, craven or just stupid chardonnay set, and the rest of the country. Certainly most of the religious were offended, but many, many other people were offended as well.

Intelligent design
What debate? I haven’t seen any real debate on intelligent design. It's a purely religious issue. Schools aren’t teaching it, it’s a non issue.

Euthenasia,
Philip Nitschke is doing much of the driving of that debate and he is not religious. When it comes to polls I’ve seen, up to 40% of the population opposes Euthanasia so that is a far bigger group than just the religious.

Gay Marriage,
I have no opinion on this matter and I don’t know where the opposition comes from

Stem Cell Research
Ethicists in general are very concerned with the ramifications of cloning etc. I support stem cell research and my understanding is that we are carrying out stem cell research in this country.

Your 5 issues are hardly mainstream issues which concern the public. You have chosen 5 issues which the religious involve themselves in. This provides no evidence whatsoever for your ridiculous claims that “You can take any modern issue these days, and see that it is commanded by the religious (for the most part).”

Real issues before the public today are the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the rising cost of home loans, the American recession, the price of petrol, the possibility of catastrophic climate change. I could go on but I think I have made my point. The religious right has very little influence in this country. You’re reading too many loony-left blogs and have lost touch with the real world.

I notice you provide no evidence for your absurd claims that “ Our political leaders conceal their extreme religious views or alliances ... ”

or for “ ... as in most cases with these modern issues a majority of Australians probably disagrees with their implementation.”
Posted by Paul.L, Tuesday, 15 July 2008 12:06:24 PM
You have a shallow understanding of those subjects, Paul and I'm not bothered to respond. Yes it's convenient
Posted by Steel, Tuesday, 15 July 2008 5:24:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy