The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Our finite planet: planning for a decline in our oil bounty > Comments

Our finite planet: planning for a decline in our oil bounty : Comments

By Michael Lardelli, published 20/8/2007

Residents of our outer suburbs are almost completely dependent on car transport. We need to plan now for less and more expensive oil.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
People I know on Adelaide's far fringes (Gawler, Aldinga) are trying LPG cars and a combination of train and cycling. Not everyone can do this, nor telecommute. In some ways Adelaide is the Las Vegas of the southern hemisphere with no easy options for either water or energy. Due the geological accident of having the world's largest uranium deposit at Roxby Downs I think nuclear option has to be considered for both electricity and desalination. Rann knows this but is waiting for public opinion to shift. Maybe by then battery cars will have an 80km range so they can be charged both at home and at work. The other option is recession.
Posted by Taswegian, Monday, 20 August 2007 10:04:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is not true that cheap petrol caused the expansion of Australian
cities. Australian cities expanded out of their "London look alike"
design after the Great War in the early 20s when the returning soldiers
purchased houses in the "Far Flung" suburbs.
At the time very few families had cars and the expansion took place
along the rail and tram lines.

So, expansion will continue, other things being equal, with an expansion
of public transport. However I agree that other things may not be equal.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 20 August 2007 11:29:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry I truncated it, here it is with the rest;
It is not true that cheap petrol caused the expansion of Australian
cities. Australian cities expanded out of their "London look alike"
design after the Great War in the early 20s when the returning soldiers
purchased houses in the "Far Flung" suburbs.
At the time very few families had cars and the expansion took place
along the rail and tram lines.

So, expansion will continue, other things being equal, with an expansion
of public transport. However I agree that other things may not be equal.

I can forsee a system where public transport radiates out in a star
formation and market gardens are between the arms of the star.
This would put the food supply almost within walking distance and
certainly within bicycle range.
Local industry could also be between the arms of the public transport.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 20 August 2007 11:33:15 AM
Great idea Bazz. I like it! Unfortunately, there's major stumbling block and it's got nothing to do with your idea. It's that neither the Coalition or Labor will admit we have a looming problem with energy resources and actually offer something positive which will mitigate the massive human crises resulting from the end of cheap oil. The time to act is right now! It will take at least 20 years to implement the technology and infrastructure requires to ease us through the transitional period after the era of abundant and cheap oil. Presently, I don't hear one word form either major party concerning this issue, but there could be good reason for this that has nothing to do with scaring the people or causing a depression.

Michael, you said in your article that neither our political or business leaders want to believe we're approaching the end of growth due to our dependence on cheap oil, but I'm not too sure about this. I tend to think it's more a case of......"Lets grab all we can and set up a future for ourselves. Bugger the commoners! We'll be right with all our wealth and an unimaginably huge army of displaced beggars to provide food and comfort for us."

The US style of employment is just one step away from slave labor and since Howard is in the pocket of the US, well.... you get the picture. Makes one realise just what work (non) choices is really all about doesn't it? The Australian worker won't have any choice once the cost of fuel to get to work and provide a living has eclipsed the income required to sustain their meager lifestyles.
Posted by Aime, Monday, 20 August 2007 12:10:52 PM
You've got to be kidding.The other day I travelled from Penrith to Neutral Bay and it cost me a lot more in road tolls than fuel.When are our Govts going to take responsibility for infrastructure and services?
Posted by Arjay, Monday, 20 August 2007 7:57:23 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why are the politicians saying nothing about Peak Oil? Because they dont know what to say. Or more correctly, they dont know what to say that the public and press will accept. There is no business-as-usual solution to Peak Oil and the answer must be radical (and brave, Minister!)

Any consideration of the Peak Oil numbers will strongly suggest that a system of rationing will be brought in one day. The sooner a system is quietly started, the less of a problem there will be. It could be brought in in much the same way as new security laws are brought in under the guise of anti-terrorism.

An excellent candidate for a rationing systems is Tradeable Energy Quotas. It is attractive because it is equitable and the problem of motivation and self interest is built in. It is largely automatic and hands off. See it at http://www.teqs.net/
Posted by Michael Dwyer, Monday, 20 August 2007 8:57:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy