The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Keeping Australia safe by an improper exercise of power? > Comments

Keeping Australia safe by an improper exercise of power? : Comments

By Surya Deva, published 27/7/2007

It is time the Australian Government showed some character in protecting the human rights of its citizens and non-citizens living in Australia legally.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. All
I accuse government ministers of conspiring to deceive the people of Australia.

How do I know? Where is the proof?

Ah, I can't reveal my sources - it's a secret!
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Friday, 27 July 2007 9:27:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That Mr Howard is intrinsically racist is not always easily definable but is obvious to many normal people. Of course there have been many blatant displays of racism-and Mr Howard's small minded attitude serves to legitimize racism - Australians are often largely ignorant of their own acutely offensive racist attitudes. Assumed superiority, assumed entitlement to better character - Australian is synonymous with ignorance when it comes to worldly matters.

You are either racist in your thinking or you are not-you can not be in between. The attitudes of Howard and his Ministers are retarded - and dangerous to peaceful futures- Abbott wants to reintroduce corporeal punishment in schools- that's progressive ingenious-only a genius would brutalize youth into submission, don't bother reassessing anachronistic structures and attitudes- just enforce violence - thats power...thats intelligent and I wonder who will get caned the most- ask Mr Haneef what he thinks.

There is a valid reason why millions of people throughout the world are ANGRY with the the 'WEST'.. Its about assumed superiority , assumed entitlement and desperation for power. Abbott Costello and Howard-grow up -or perhaps you ought to be caned, detained before you leave the Australian public in peace
Posted by mu, Friday, 27 July 2007 9:55:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If doctors bury thier mistakes - Immigration Ministers deport theirs!
Posted by Peterm, Friday, 27 July 2007 10:16:18 AM
“The arrest, detention and cancellation of the visa of Dr Mohammed Haneef by the Australian Government have evoked strong reactions or concerns from a range of people and institutions”, prates the author.

The “strong reactions” have come only from the usual suspects. I would put good money on most Australians not giving two hoots about Haneef, if they have even heard of him. They are probably so sick of hearing human rights fanatics prattling on about the rights of people they (most Australians) regard as threats to themselves and their country that they have switched off. They want their government to protect them. End of story.

Some Australians might also be interested to know who this author, with his foreign name, thinks he is lecturing us on how our government should be treating us and non-citizens living in Australia. His address appears to be Hong Kong.

What really gets up my nose about self-righteous, arrogant people like Surya Deva who say that the Australian government “…. has a duty under the Constitution as well as international law to protect civil liberties not only of its citizens but also of non-citizens in some cases”, is that they only talk about such things when an alien, a terror suspect or some pain in the butt belonging to a minority group is involved. We never hear from them when it comes to the majority.

For mine, the Government is trying do what it is supposed to do: protect us from attack from without and within and, also, from pain- in- the-backside people more interested in the “rights” of the bad guys or suspected bad guys than they are in the majority.

When it comes to the well-being and safety of my country and my fellow citizens, I say, “Stiff cheese Dr. Haneef. Innocent or not, I hope you are soon back in your own country, never to return here”.

To the Government I would say, “Train our own people. Stop importing foreigners, many of whom can’t even communicate in English”
Posted by Leigh, Friday, 27 July 2007 10:43:01 AM
If doctors bury their mistakes - Immigration Ministers deport theirs!
Commonwealth Public Officials exercising power without authority commit offences.

Commonwealth Criminal Code Act 1995
142.2 Abuse of public office
(1) A Commonwealth public official is guilty of an offence if:
(a) the official:
(i) exercises any influence that the official has in the official’s capacity as a Commonwealth public official; or
(ii) engages in any conduct in the exercise of the official’s
duties as a Commonwealth public official; or
(iii) uses any information that the official has obtained in the official’s capacity as a Commonwealth public official; and
(b) the official does so with the intention of:
(i) dishonestly obtaining a benefit for himself or herself or for another person; or
(ii) dishonestly causing a detriment to another person.
Penalty: Imprisonment for 5 years.
Posted by Young Dan, Friday, 27 July 2007 10:46:42 AM
It is a very difficult task to protect the human rights of Australians while similtaneously taking those rights away with draconian laws

Freedon is just another word for nothing left to lose.
Posted by SHONGA, Friday, 27 July 2007 10:47:46 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 16
  8. 17
  9. 18
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy