The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Labor's poll planners: savvy analyst and ruthless spin doctor > Comments

Labor's poll planners: savvy analyst and ruthless spin doctor : Comments

By Natasha Cica, published 29/1/2007

Maxine McKew joins team Rudd to advise on the ABCs of strategy. Howard should get a real run for his money.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
This article, like much of the comment on Maxine McKew's appointment, makes the assumption that a media interviewer or journalist has skills as a political strategist. Kevin Rudd obviously also shares this view.
My observations of ministerial staffers and the quality of their advice is that the most astute tend not to be former journalists. The ex-journalists are often obsessed with either keeping their boss's name out of the media, or getting it into the media, and providing smart-arse grabs which get used, but don't make any point that will win a voter. There's a big difference between observing the political scene and taking part in it.
What experience has Maxine McKew as a strategist? None. Her major value is as a conduit for her partner's thinking. I forecast she'll be gone by the end of the year.
Posted by analyst, Monday, 29 January 2007 11:25:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I continue to be amazed by the voluntary acceptance by the Federal Labor Party of the status of permanent opposition. When you think of the simple action that would be all that was required to have a serious chance of regaining office.

The required action, is, of course, to endorse Pauline Hanson as a Labor candidate in a marginal Liberal seat.
Posted by plerdsus, Monday, 29 January 2007 12:50:24 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A bit late, Plerdsus. Pauline's policies were hijacked by Howard about 3 years ago.

I don't expect to see any reports of Maxine for a long time yet. Much of the power of back-room operators lie in their anonymity.

Analyst appears not to give any weight to the fact NSW's most successful premier in recent years was a journo, or that the Northern Territory's leader came directly from the media. Maxine should prove to be a significant asset to Labor, not just because she's media savvy (and not because she was voted one of TV's sexiest women), but because she's got brains.
Posted by bennie, Monday, 29 January 2007 3:09:49 PM
Check out their latest work for Kevin Rudd's Australia Day message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS25sTLsiHg
Posted by Brisvegan, Monday, 29 January 2007 5:12:18 PM
Maxine is as bright as they come and any added intelligence on
either side of the political debate, has to be a benefit for
everyone. So its a great move by Kevin and shows the difference
between him and Kim. Kevin's pretty bright too, wheras Kim just
never had it. Go Maxine, you have my admiration and respect!
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 29 January 2007 7:17:30 PM
Maxine should be an asset.

But never say that Kim didn't have it, perhaps he doesn't have it between the ears but he certainly has it around the waist.

Which is a bit unfair, I guess, and it's just my natural aversion to him showing through.
He is, after all, a Rhodes Scholar so there must have been a functioning brain at one time at least.
Posted by Is Mise, Monday, 29 January 2007 9:53:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy