The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'You should always highly obey your husband' > Comments

'You should always highly obey your husband' : Comments

By Alanta Colley, published 19/12/2006

Where does gender equality fit on the road to Cambodia’s development?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
An article whose author admits to lacking the intelligence to prescibe a sure-fire solution for a very difficult problem, after giving it close and considered inspection.
What a breath of fresh air that is!
A rare open mind all the more likely to grasp the fundamentals, should they ever manifest themselves, necessary to advance the situation.
Posted by colinsett, Tuesday, 19 December 2006 9:53:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
GENDER EQUALITY is a western concept and if introduced to Cambodia would probably create the same unbelievable MESS it has done for us in the West.

People ARE equal.. we know this, but CULTURE is the keystone to understanding how communities operate. If you mess with the culture (EVEN though you may not agree with it from YOUR western understanding) you might well destroy a WHOLE society. You give them 'Gender EQuality' and they die out in 2 generations. Ummm you have helped them HOW ?

READ THIS, if you don't believe how such a small thing as an Axe, and its impact on male self esteem can destroy a whole race.
http://www.cabrillo.edu/~crsmith/steelAxes.pdf

While I totally recognize that there are some unpalatable aspects to the Cambodian 'male female' roles, it is part of their culture and cultures are balanced. Mess with it...and you might be guilty of mass manslaughter.

Maybe.. JUST MAYBE.. the men are so happy with their loving attentive submissive wives they bend over backwards to please them ? Now..that would be a revelation wouldn't it ?

I heard from a Cambodian friend at Gym, about how his cousin (in Australia) married a 'traditional' girl from there, and my friend commented that "she will be rock solid, and stay with him through thick and thin ...for life" gee.. now that would be a tragedy for Australian marraiges and society hey ?
Posted by BOAZ_David, Tuesday, 19 December 2006 1:43:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Treat your man like you treat your dog"

Catronia Rowntree. Documentary Program "Sex Life" AUATRALIA (thank you!) 2002.

Some obscure authour, nations away, is mis quoted and mis translated and there's a mini worldwide outcry.

Why wasn't the same national outcry forthcoming when Rowntree was advocating abusing your partner as a normal relationship?

Talk about double standards.!
Posted by sparticusss, Tuesday, 19 December 2006 2:08:48 PM
Interesting outlook. I wonder if we were talking about African slaves and the negative impact on the economy of having to free and pay these people equitable wages, and hence a negative impact on the people in Cambodia, whether your support would change.
Posted by chrisse, Tuesday, 19 December 2006 2:45:58 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Perhaps you should ask Angelina Jolie!
Posted by Suebdootwo, Wednesday, 20 December 2006 1:36:15 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"The third wave feminists of the Germaine Greer era again made their advances for wage equality, the recognition of unpaid labour and sexual equality after the instability and economic pressures of World War II concluded. Essentially, advances in gender equality have historically been the preserve of societies that were stable and affluent enough for a realignment of women’s economic and social roles."
Except these are not advances in gender equality but rather policies further to appeasement. Recognition of unpaid labour. What the @#$% is that. Who recognizes me when I feed my children or cut my lawn or fix my car or paint my house or anything else I do that is germane to living up to my responsibilities as a husband and father. Or is that something only a woman should be paid for. Motherhood deserves finacial reward, fatherhood is an obligation.
As if Cambodia hasn't enough problems coming to turms with it's past and struggling to have any independant future. It now has world feminism decending upon its culture to make sure it conforms to the new world order of feminist inequality and man hating.
Let's not feign shock and surprise at any violent backlash from Cambodians after upending their cultural relationships.
Posted by aqvarivs, Wednesday, 20 December 2006 2:20:29 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy