The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A bit too much drought and not enough flooding rains > Comments

A bit too much drought and not enough flooding rains : Comments

By Brad Ruting, published 25/10/2006

Australian governments need to stop focusing on short-term, economic solutions to droughts and look to the long term.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. All
No worries - the escalation of coal mining means that farms are being de-watered hand over fist in NSW's coalfields. So the solution has already been found - give up agriculture in favour of mining (too bad that the coal runs out after a few decades).

Rivers are wrecked, creeks disappear, whole catchments are desiccated. So drought or no drought, farming is finished in these areas and this is on the increase. Drive past Singleton and you'll see the scale of the destruction. Rehabilitation is a joke - the plantings are never watered and, deprived of shade, wither away in no time. Anyway the rubble which now replaces the surface soil is unuseable.

Now the Liverpool Plains are under threat from BHP Billiton's latest venture - this will continue the process by breaching and draining the aquifers under the plains, and by wrecking the Mooki and the Namoi Rivers. These rivers run into the Murray-Darling river system, already on its death bed. Good work, NSW politicians - especially Minister for Mineral Resources Ian Macdonald and Planning Ministger Frank Sartor.
Posted by kang, Saturday, 11 November 2006 10:48:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've just come across this discussion: it's been interesting to say the least. There's one comment that I think sums this up:-

"You are in the country because YOU want to be there and then want the rest of the country to dip into their pockets each time the inevitable happens."

That's so silly. Why is Australia so amazingly urbanised? Partly due to silly attitudes like this, which are "your problem, talk to my shoulder 'cos I'm not raising my hand to talk to you".

How viable would a city like Sydney or Melbourne be without the rural areas to provide spaces to play, grow wine, and more? Perhaps that a cheeky comment for me to make: really a lot of people are amazingly selfish and domineering when it comes to talking about regional places.

Here's a simple way of looking at drought:-
Firstly, it happens. This is an extremely dry place. Get used to it.
Secondly, you have no right to live in a city, and you over there have no right to live in the country. Actually none of us have a right to live anywhere, we're just fortunate. So appreciate what you've got (whatever it may be) and think for one moment of someone else's lot in life.
Thirdly, there are poor agricultural practices. There's poor urban practices too, very poor. All of them are caused by humans, who are imperfect, but ingenious. So quit carping about the problems and get on with it.
Fourthly, the solution is not to sterilise land and kick people off: that simply devalused people, and is a surrender of our abilities. Things can be fixed, not abandoned.
Fifthly, cities are not for everyone. If you don't like that too bad. Similarly, open spaces and small communities are not for everyone either. As an aside, as a gay man the first time anyone harrassed me was when I moved to Sydney, the queerest city in Oz: in my home town of 2,800 no-one ever said anything. Ever.

On the whole, everyone, keep thinking and learn, discussion is a great thing.
Posted by urbanrenewal, Tuesday, 14 November 2006 3:00:10 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. 12
  9. Page 13
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy