The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A bit too much drought and not enough flooding rains > Comments

A bit too much drought and not enough flooding rains : Comments

By Brad Ruting, published 25/10/2006

Australian governments need to stop focusing on short-term, economic solutions to droughts and look to the long term.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All
Kaep, you may be interested to know that it is raining in inland northern NSW. Where I am we have had just under an inch (or 22mm if you need the conversion) since midday yesterday. Other areas such as Moree have had at least double that. However, no rain in Central or Southern NSW.

Remco I know you have a set against anyone who speaks in inches, so I did the above conversion for your benefit. I am reasonably typical of those younger people from the land. I talk in inches of rain, cms of measurement, miles to the nearest village, kms to the nearest town, acres of land etc etc. I've only been out of school 10 years so I certainly didnt grow up in the times of imperial measurement, but am reasonably conversant in both. Unlike my husband, who despite also being in his 20's, actually thinks in imperial when in comes to small measurements, produce (bags per acre), land area, rainfall, car efficiency (mpg), but then also thinks in metric when it comes to long distances (eg how far to the nearest town) and in litres not gallons (most of the time). Given that the average age of the farmer means that they grew up with the imperial system, the industry still tends to think along these lines, with the younger generation tending to be fluent in both.
Posted by Country Gal, Friday, 3 November 2006 7:19:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CG,

Thanks for that.

Can you tell me:

Which directions the rains entered,

When was the last rainfall and how much?

Thanks.

PS I am proficient in Imperial, Metric and various other sub-tongues and dialects.

PS2 We are just getting heavy rainfalls in Sydney as I post.
Maybe just 2 days of wastewater mitigation is all that is needed to seed some temporary rains. That there is a one day time lag in the system is not surprising given the inertia in sea surface thermal capacity.

Hopefully whoever cleaned those coastal plumes on Tuesday and Wednesday is reading this and is now prepared to go on with the EXPERIMENT.
Posted by KAEP, Friday, 3 November 2006 11:08:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quote from Remco;
“You rural people are right, I do NOT get it.

Why with all the duress, deprivations, inequities, higher costs, lower quality communications services, and feeling hard done by, why do you stay?

Why do you put Australia before your own family?

And so why, as most are sitting on valuable properties, don’t you sell out and join the REGULATED privileged – i.e. city dwellers?”

Well Remco, of course you don’t get it, if you did, you would be on a lower salary then you are now if you did”get it”
Also you missed a word out that I have included in your quote.

We don’t want all of the above that you talk about, but with most people thinking like you, we are out numbered at the voting box, so the discrimination will continue as you continue with your selfish lifestyle.

You go to mention that we are all wealthy. Well I have news for you, as most urban people I know , and they come from all walks of life have more wealth than many farmers, as well as a income that never goes down due to govt regulation.

Would you like to share with us what industry and what part you play in it so we can asess what “govt subsidy” you are really getting?

With the attitude you have, maybe you will support regional Australia seceding from the nation, leaving you without the problem of agriculture for your tax funds to be directed to.

Maybe this forum would like to discuss what would happen if was to occur, the winner and losers.

If Remco is right, we will be big losers, but some how I don’t think so, as the regional sector's income is world competitive, but the urban areas are not.

Would any one like to comment?
Posted by dunart, Sunday, 5 November 2006 7:35:35 PM
Well if the truth be known, Remco's banana republic, would not
even have bananas to trade, in the real world market!

The way they work it is quite simple. They are by far the
majority in numbers, so they invent the rules as they go
along, to suit themselves and their self interest. We are
totally outnumbered, so apart from the odd protest, have
little choice but to go along with it all.

When we complain that some of their rules are restricting
our world class efficiency, they dodge the question and
get upset when we want at least a part of our hard earned
tax dollars back.

I guess thats why I think that the ratrace is for rats,
give me good old country living any day! Without us
they would be stuffed, quite frankly.
Posted by Yabby, Sunday, 5 November 2006 9:38:44 PM
"NSW Premier Morris Iemma said climate change was a real threat to the state's way of life."
http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/heat-to-soar-in-nsw-says-csiro/2006/11/06/1162661577166.html

Iemma's a croc.

From desal plants to corrupt overdevelopment to exorbitant tollways funnelled into gridlocks, Morris Iemma and his Italian oligarchy, operating under the pretense of a Labor Government is the real threat to NSW.

From the farms to the cities, what do we want NSW?

We want a return to one on one DEMOCRACY,

We want an end to the political manipulation of science and of the CSIRO; if the CSIRO was allowed to be independent, the truth that the NSW drought was 90% caused by wastewater dumping into the TASMAN SEA (from Macleay river, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong, Bega and Eden) would be known and correctional strategies put in place.

We want an end to the paradigm of Sydney being the New York of the Pacific for the exclusive benfit of politicians, politically influential businessmen, gambling operators and new immigrants of the correct political flavour

We want an end to the pretense that Howard and Iemma are enemies when in fact they both conspire, good-cop-bad-cop, to monpopolise the NSW economy for their own political and fiscal ends with the very same tool of unsustainable-immigration, which dilutes the rights and quiet enjoyment of every citizen in this state, enslaving us all.

We want an end to media monopolies and their fascist PROPAGANDA that NSW citizens are responsible for water, labour and clean air shortages when we all know that politically motivated, corrupted and ill conceived immigration strategies are to blame.

Continued ...
Posted by KAEP, Monday, 6 November 2006 8:25:07 AM
Continuing ..

And last but not least, we want recycling of as much sewage, stormwater and other wastewater off the NSW coast as is economically feasible in order to change the (entropy) land/sea thermodynamic balance in favour of increased rainfalls rather than the current worsening situation where dumped pollution (high entropy) pumps and sucks (low entropy) heat and moisture out of NSW in cardio-rhythmic high/low pressure pattern that can be seen clearly on any animated regional weather map, at any time of the year.

Come March 2007, shock and awe all the lazy self serving political bastards and their smug busuness buddies that WE run this state, that we know how to stop the drought and we want it stopped NOW!

And remember if America can stop their hurricanes we can stop our drought and if they can get rid of Bush, we can get rid of Iemma and Howard.
Posted by KAEP, Monday, 6 November 2006 8:27:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. Page 11
  10. 12
  11. 13
  12. All