The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The Democrats - a party with punch > Comments

The Democrats - a party with punch : Comments

By Lyn Allison, published 17/10/2006

Why do journalists argue that the Democrats are dead? Even without a Senate majority there have been many wins this year.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
A more appropriate title would be: “The Democrats – a punch drunk party”.
Posted by Leigh, Tuesday, 17 October 2006 9:53:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Lyn, I wish the Democrats were a force to be reckoned with. But they haven’t been for a very long time. In fact, the Greens would never have formed in 1992 if the Dems had been a significant force in one key area – the environment. And the environmental arena has always been one of the key areas that the Dems have espoused a great deal of concern for and in which there has been a great need to ‘keep the bastards honest’. Since then, they have just got worse.

“For one thing, the reasons Don helped form the party have not gone away. Indeed the new Howard-takes-all environment is at least as dire as that in 1977…”

Absolutely. So how does this sit with your title; “The Democrats - A party with punch”?

In fact you indicate at length how bad the situation has become, against the desires of the Dems.

“It’s not a bad record for a party that’s said to be finished.”

Of course there have been some achievements, but overall, you can hardly say that the record has been good.

Lyn, I was critical of the very foundation of your last article, as expressed on that thread. http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?article=4920#56542. Unfortunately, you have not responded, not to me nor anyone, which has done your arguments and credibility no good at all.

I have also been extremely critical of Andrew Bartlett on this forum a number of times, to which he has responded numerous times. The debate has been good, but as far as I am concerned, he just dug himself deeper into a hole.

So, my initially poor opinion of the Dems has got considerably worse this year, thanks to this forum.

As a former member, devout believer in sustainability and vehement critic of our continuous growth paradigm, I find this really really unfortunate.

I think that the main the thing the Dems need to do is show themselves to be significantly different from the ‘Laborials’ by way of embracing genuine sustainability as their core objective. But Andrew for one is just on a different track completely.
Posted by Ludwig, Tuesday, 17 October 2006 10:00:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
THe Democrats are a poor image of the Greens. With the the Greens you either love them or hate them but at least you know where they stand. The results of the Democrats recent internet survey in relation to religion and Government was not published because the results collected from the 40000 respondents did not match their ideoligies. So much for the Democrats really believing in democracy. I for one will be pleased to see them become more and more irrelevant. They need to learn how to keep themselves honest before trying to keep the others honest.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 17 October 2006 10:44:35 AM
Strike 1 - the IR "allowable matters"
Strike 2 - The GST
Strike 3 - the sale of Telstra

Sorry, but a lot of little wins won't outweigh a few big losses.

Tinkering around the edges of bad legislation doen't make it good, just a little less bad.
Posted by wobbles, Tuesday, 17 October 2006 1:45:11 PM
You're right Lyn, the Democrats have landed some telling blows over the last few years. If the Democrats hadn't pushed the issue that stray cat would have been roaming Manus Island all alone. It took a special party to reunite that tabby with its master.

God bless you Lyn and God bless the Democrats.
Posted by Sage, Tuesday, 17 October 2006 2:35:58 PM
The Democrats - a party with punch.

That would of course be non-alcoholic punch. Don't want to choose another leader do you? (Sorry Andrew).
Posted by Steve Madden, Tuesday, 17 October 2006 3:16:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy